all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp-touch on NTemacs
@ 2007-03-09 22:08 Peter
       [not found] ` <mailman.741.1173480436.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter @ 2007-03-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.
I'm running GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) under Windows
XP.  I need to transfer files back and forth with a Linux machine at
work that does not allow ftp access.  The pre-installed tramp package
seems to work just fine except when I try to copy a file from the
Linux machine back to my local XP machine.  The file is copied, but I
get an error message saying "tramp-touch:  touch failed".  I am using
the default method (plink?); there is nothing in my .emacs file to
modify this.  When I first experimented with tramp, it complained that
there wasn't a touch program, so I tried several versions that I
downloaded from the web, finally settling on the one from the UnxUtils
package available on Sourceforge.net.  It seems to have the same
command-line options as the Unix versions, including -t.

I've looked at the tramp.el file for this error message.  It is
embedded in some code that looks like the following excerpt:

(defun tramp-touch (file time)
  "Set the last-modified timestamp of the given file.
TIME is an Emacs internal time value as returned by `current-time'."
  (let ((touch-time (format-time-string "%Y%m%d%H%M.%S" time)))
    (if (tramp-tramp-file-p file)
	(with-parsed-tramp-file-name file nil
	  (let ((buf (tramp-get-buffer multi-method method user host)))
	    (unless (zerop (tramp-send-command-and-check
			    multi-method method user host
			    (format "touch -t %s %s"
				    touch-time
				    localname)))
	      (pop-to-buffer buf)
	      (error "tramp-touch: touch failed, see buffer `%s' for details"
		     buf))))
      ;; It's a local file
      (with-temp-buffer
	(unless (zerop (call-process
			"touch" nil (current-buffer) nil "-t" touch-time file))
	      (pop-to-buffer (current-buffer))
	      (error "tramp-touch: touch failed"))))))

I'm assuming that the error message is generated by the final line of
code above.  However, I don't know any List and don't know how to
debug this further.  I can, however, follow directions and would
appreciate suggestions on how to proceed.  This error occurs with
whatever version of touch.exe I install on my system.

Thanks,
Peter

* Re: tramp-touch on NTemacs
@ 2007-03-09 22:46 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.741.1173480436.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-09 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

Have you tried the touch.exe from gnuwin32? I do not know if it works,
but it is more recent and also currently maintained. I would be
interested in hearing the result.

* Re: tramp-touch on NTemacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.741.1173480436.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-10  0:28   ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2007-03-10  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 9, 2:46 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried the touch.exe from gnuwin32? I do not know if it works,
> but it is more recent and also currently maintained. I would be
> interested in hearing the result.

Hey, it worked!  I installed touch.exe from coreutils-5.3.0-bin.zip
(part of gnuwin32) and voila, no more error messages!  Thanks for the
suggestion.

--Peter