all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Linking to other files, images, etc. in plain text or diary files
@ 2007-02-22  5:55 RealityMonster
From: RealityMonster @ 2007-02-22  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there any way to include links to other objects in something like a
plain text or diary file?

Part of my work includes making a log of what I did that day, and I'd
like to occasionally reference things that I get in my mail like word
docs or image files. I did a cursory search on emacswiki, but this is
one of those things where you get a zillion hits because of words like
'image link text file'. :P

I've just been making my logs in diary files; is there a better way?
I've looked into planner a bit, but it seems a bit heavy for my
purposes.

Thanks,

JS

* Re: Linking to other files, images, etc. in plain text or diary files
@ 2007-02-22  7:19 ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2007-02-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"RealityMonster" <jan.sacharuk@gmail.com> writes:

> I've looked into planner a bit, but it seems a bit heavy for my
> purposes.

Take a look again. This will be my advice for a solution. What is
hard?

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html

* Re: Linking to other files, images, etc. in plain text or diary files
@ 2007-02-22 12:20   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-02-22 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22 fev, 04:19, Brian Elmegaard <b...@rkspeed-rugby.dk> wrote:
> "RealityMonster" <jan.sacha...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I've looked into planner a bit, but it seems a bit heavy for my
> > purposes.
>
> Take a look again. This will be my advice for a solution. What is
> hard?
>
> --
> Brian (remove the sport for mail)http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.htmlhttp://www.rugbyklubben-speed.dk

Linkd seems perfect for your purposes. The nice thing is that it is a
minor mode so you can insert links inside your source files, etc.
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Linkd.html
Emacs 22 is required.

Cheers,
weber

* Re: Linking to other files, images, etc. in plain text or diary files
@ 2007-02-22 17:07   ` RealityMonster
From: RealityMonster @ 2007-02-22 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 22, 12:19 am, Brian Elmegaard <b...@rkspeed-rugby.dk> wrote:
> "RealityMonster" <jan.sacha...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I've looked into planner a bit, but it seems a bit heavy for my
> > purposes.
>
> Take a look again. This will be my advice for a solution. What is
> hard?
>
> --
> Brian (remove the sport for mail)http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.htmlhttp://www.rugbyklubben-speed.dk

Nothing's hard, I just feel that it's more than I need. I just want a
diary entry, which amounts to a date and some text describing my day.
I'm not trying to plan anything, so planner is like an extra-heavy
text file at that point. I'll take a look at it again later when I
have more time and inclination.

Thanks, though. :)

@ 2007-02-22 18:53     ` RealityMonster
From: RealityMonster @ 2007-02-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 22, 5:20 am, "weber" <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 fev, 04:19, Brian Elmegaard <b...@rkspeed-rugby.dk> wrote:
>
> > "RealityMonster" <jan.sacha...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > I've looked into planner a bit, but it seems a bit heavy for my
> > > purposes.
>
> > Take a look again. This will be my advice for a solution. What is
> > hard?
>
> > --
> > Brian (remove the sport for mail)http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.htmlhttp://www.rugbyklubben-...
>
> Linkd seems perfect for your purposes. The nice thing is that it is a
> minor mode so you can insert links inside your source files, etc.http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Linkd.html
> Emacs 22 is required.
>
> Cheers,
> weber

That's exactly perfect. Thanks. :)

@ 2007-02-22 23:36     ` Jim Ottaway
From: Jim Ottaway @ 2007-02-22 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On 22 Feb 2007, RealityMonster wrote:

> Nothing's hard, I just feel that it's more than I need. I just want a
> diary entry, which amounts to a date and some text describing my day.
> I'm not trying to plan anything, so planner is like an extra-heavy
> text file at that point. I'll take a look at it again later when I
> have more time and inclination.

You could use Muse mode or org mode.  Both of these have facilities for
creating links to other files, web pages, and the like.

emacswiki information:

 muse mode :: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsMuse
 org mode :: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OrgMode

--