all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reftex broken: "symbol's function definition is void: decf"
@ 2007-02-05 16:39 almarex
From: almarex @ 2007-02-05 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I'm using emacs (21.4.1) and auctex (all from ubuntu edgy) as tex
editor, but somehow, for some tex files reftex is mysteriously broken.
Any reftex action (label, cite, table of contents) gives: "symbol's
function definition is void: decf" in the minibuffer. strange thing is
that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the tex file, I've
copy pasted the exact same content of the file into a new file and
then it works and then when I change the name of that file to yet
something else it stops working again. Anyone have any idea what may
be going on here?

Thanks,
 Em

* Re: reftex broken: "symbol's function definition is void: decf"
@ 2007-02-06  7:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-02-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

almarex@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm using emacs (21.4.1) and auctex (all from ubuntu edgy) as tex
> editor, but somehow, for some tex files reftex is mysteriously broken.
> Any reftex action (label, cite, table of contents) gives: "symbol's
> function definition is void: decf" in the minibuffer. strange thing is
> that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the tex file, I've
> copy pasted the exact same content of the file into a new file and
> then it works and then when I change the name of that file to yet
> something else it stops working again. Anyone have any idea what may
> be going on here?

decf is a Common Lisp special form, which is available in Emacs Lisp
only via the CL emulation package.  reftex is probably missing the
needed (require 'cl) form, optionally enclosed in (eval-when-compile ...)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: reftex broken: "symbol's function definition is void: decf"
@ 2007-02-06 18:31 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-06 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 5, 4:39 pm, alma...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using emacs (21.4.1) and auctex (all from ubuntu edgy) as tex
> editor, but somehow, for some tex files reftex is mysteriously broken.
> Any reftex action (label, cite, table of contents) gives: "symbol's
> function definition is void: decf" in the minibuffer. strange thing is
> that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the tex file, I've
> copy pasted the exact same content of the file into a new file and
> then it works and then when I change the name of that file to yet
> something else it stops working again. Anyone have any idea what may
> be going on here?

To expand on Kevin's reply.
It is common in Elisp to include the CL package only for it's macros,
this is done by putting:-
(eval-when-compile (require 'cl))
in the file. This means though that CL will only be required at
compile time.

So to make this file work you must byte-compile it.