all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Putting all backup (tilde) files in one directory using xemacs 21.4p6
@ 2007-01-22  1:00 Kelly Jones
From: Kelly Jones @ 2007-01-22  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using xemacs 21.4p6, how do I put all backup (tilde) files into a
single directory, instead of having them saved to the same directory
as the original file?

I tried several variations of:

(require 'saveconf)
(require 'uniquify)
(require 'auto-save)
(setq backup-directory-alist '(("." . "/home/user/emacs-backups")))

to no avail (I replaced 'user' with my username and confirmed that
emacs-backups existed and was writable by me).

I then wiped out all the tilde files, restarted xemacs, ran the LISP
code above, but the tilde files still show up in the same directory as
the original.

Doing "describe-variable" for "backup-directory-alist" is unhelpful,
so I wonder if I need to "require" something else to make this work?

* Re: Putting all backup (tilde) files in one directory using xemacs 21.4p6
       [not found] <mailman.3400.1169427633.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-22 17:21 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-01-22 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kelly Jones wrote:
> Using xemacs 21.4p6, how do I put all backup (tilde) files into a
> single directory, instead of having them saved to the same directory
> as the original file?

This newsgroup is for discussion of GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. Try
comp.emacs.xemacs to get people who know about XEmacs.

That said, I think your problem is that the regexp you've used is just
"." which matches one single letter of any kind, what you probably want
is ".*" which matches a string composed of letters on any kind.

* Re: Putting all backup (tilde) files in one directory using xemacs 21.4p6
@ 2007-01-23  5:42   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-01-23  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Thorpe wrote:
> Kelly Jones wrote:
>> Using xemacs 21.4p6, how do I put all backup (tilde) files into a
>> single directory, instead of having them saved to the same directory
>> as the original file?
>
> This newsgroup is for discussion of GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. Try
> comp.emacs.xemacs to get people who know about XEmacs.

Indeed.  Or upgrade to Emacs, preferably version 22.  :-)

> That said, I think your problem is that the regexp you've used is just
> "." which matches one single letter of any kind, what you probably want
> is ".*" which matches a string composed of letters on any kind.

Uh, no. "." matches any character except newline; ".*" matches zero or
more such characters.  For the purpose of matching any non-nil value of
buffer-file-name, they're effectively equivalent.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA