all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using bash aliases with auctex
@ 2007-01-17  9:40 Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-01-17  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having problems getting emacs to use my bash aliases. Specifically,
when running auctex's view command on a latex buffer, xdvi gets called
with default arguments, instead of my xdvi alias that all bash shells
use. I changed the TeX-shell variable to bash

(custom-set-variables '(TeX-shell "/bin/bash") ...

but that didn't change anything. Shouldn't that make emacs read all
that's in my .bashrc file?

* Re: Using bash aliases with auctex
@ 2007-01-18 12:44 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-01-18 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 17, 10:40 am, "Martin" <lovesl...@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com>
wrote:
> I'm having problems getting emacs to use my bash aliases. Specifically,
> when running auctex's view command on a latex buffer, xdvi gets called
> with default arguments, instead of my xdvi alias that all bash shells
> use.

I now use .Xresources settings to get xdvi to behave like I want, so
the original problem is solved. It would still be interesting to know
how emacs reads aliases, though.

* Re: Using bash aliases with auctex
@ 2007-01-18 14:39   ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2007-01-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Martin wrote:

> On Jan 17, 10:40 am, "Martin" <lovesl...@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm having problems getting emacs to use my bash aliases. Specifically,
>> when running auctex's view command on a latex buffer, xdvi gets called
>> with default arguments, instead of my xdvi alias that all bash shells
>> use.
>
> I now use .Xresources settings to get xdvi to behave like I want, so
> the original problem is solved. It would still be interesting to know
> how emacs reads aliases, though.

Hi Martin,

I don't think it's Emacs' fault at all.  If started
non-interactively, bash doesn't do any alias expansion.  I believe
you could try bash-functions instead (better than aliases anyway)
or maybe call bash with the -i switch.

Have fun
----Daniel