all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recipe for ps-print-buffer on a Linux system, using Ghostscript to go to PCL printer?
@ 2006-12-26 12:14 Endless Story
       [not found] ` <mailman.2370.1167140173.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Endless Story @ 2006-12-26 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got an HP 1200, which understands PCL but not Postscript. And I'm
running Gentoo Linux. I dual boot Linux and XP, and on the XP side, I
was able to find recipes on the Web for the .emacs init file such that
I can now print a postscript buffer via Ghostscript.

I'd like to be able to do the same on the Linux side, but can find no
recipes to copy. Trying to alter a Windows-style recipe so far hasn't
worked. The Ghostscript manual hasn't been helpful since it's not
written with Emacs in mind. And "man lpr" hasn't helped much either.

If anyone has actually done this and has real lisp code I can borrow,
I'd appreciate it.

* Re: Recipe for ps-print-buffer on a Linux system, using Ghostscript to go to PCL printer?
@ 2006-12-26 13:34 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2370.1167140173.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-26 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.12.2006 um 13:14 schrieb Endless Story:

> I'd like to be able to do the same on the Linux side, but can find no
> recipes to copy. Trying to alter a Windows-style recipe so far hasn't
> worked. The Ghostscript manual hasn't been helpful since it's not
> written with Emacs in mind. And "man lpr" hasn't helped much either.

Have you CUPS installed? The Common UNIX Printing Systems offers a
rasteriser to convert PostScript to whatever. And it's just a
backend, the mechanism to clean the printer's queue. http://localhost:
631/

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

@ 2006-12-26 15:23   ` Endless Story
From: Endless Story @ 2006-12-26 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yup, got CUPS. And you'd think it would handle PostScript conversion
for Emacs as for all else - but at the moment it doesn't seem to.