all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mini-buffer does not save completions from previous Emacs session
@ 2006-12-23 17:05 Endless Story
From: Endless Story @ 2006-12-23 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is Emacs 21.3.1 on Windows. I am used to running it on Linux,
where it has never been a problem to revisit ALT-x completions in the
mini-buffer that I had used in the previous session. So not knowing
what has broken, I don't know how to fix it. Clues, doco I should look
at?

Thanks -

* Re: Mini-buffer does not save completions from previous Emacs session
@ 2006-12-23 17:28 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-12-23 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Endless Story" <usable.thought@gmail.com> writes:

> This is Emacs 21.3.1 on Windows. I am used to running it on Linux,
> where it has never been a problem to revisit ALT-x completions in the
> mini-buffer that I had used in the previous session. So not knowing
> what has broken, I don't know how to fix it. Clues, doco I should look
> at?

M-x customize-variable RET savehist-mode RET

and don't forget to save for future sessions.

* Re: Mini-buffer does not save completions from previous Emacs session
@ 2006-12-24 11:53   ` Endless Story
From: Endless Story @ 2006-12-24 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nope. Emacs reports: [no match]. I'm browsing the Customization buffers
& not finding anything. And I have the big GNU Emacs Windows, but that
is (as usual) fairly impossible - it wasn't written with a reader in
mind.

@ 2006-12-24 12:30     ` Endless Story
From: Endless Story @ 2006-12-24 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I solved this by finding & installing the .session package. In fact I
think I may have installed .session long, long ago on Linux and
forgotten about doing so. This would explain why I was surprised not to
find the same functionality on my fresh Windows install.

@ 2006-12-24 15:34       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-12-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I solved this by finding & installing the .session package. In fact I
> think I may have installed .session long, long ago on Linux and
> forgotten about doing so. This would explain why I was surprised not to
> find the same functionality on my fresh Windows install.

Glad you found a solution. Here is another possibility:

Perhaps your version of Emacs does not have the savehist library
preinstalled. If so, you might prefer savehist to .session - it saves only
histories, and you can control which histories to save. You can get a
version of it that works with Emacs versions as old as 20 here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/savehist-20%2b.el.