all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 12:29 bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-22 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to match the beginning of all lines that have tab|space
chars and I'm using this:

^[ \t]*

But [ \t]* doesn't match spaces or tabs, matchs spaces and letter t...
Am I missing something?

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 12:48 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2006-12-22 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel wrote:
> I'm trying to match the beginning of all lines that have tab|space
> chars and I'm using this:
>
> ^[ \t]*
>
> But [ \t]* doesn't match spaces or tabs, matchs spaces and letter t...
> Am I missing something?

Depends on if you're typing in the regexp interactively or
coding a routine to be loaded.  In a file, you're above syntax
should work.
If you're responding to an interactive prompt then you don't
use \t syntax (nor do you need to double \\ when
you want to search for \).  Use C-q C-i or C-q C-TAB to insert an
actual tab character.

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 12:57   ` bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-22 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.

rgb wrote:

> bcochofel wrote:
> > I'm trying to match the beginning of all lines that have tab|space
> > chars and I'm using this:
> >
> > ^[ \t]*
> >
> > But [ \t]* doesn't match spaces or tabs, matchs spaces and letter t...
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Depends on if you're typing in the regexp interactively or
> coding a routine to be loaded.  In a file, you're above syntax
> should work.
> If you're responding to an interactive prompt then you don't
> use \t syntax (nor do you need to double \\ when
> you want to search for \).  Use C-q C-i or C-q C-TAB to insert an
> actual tab character.

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 13:24 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.12.2006 um 13:29 schrieb bcochofel:

> I'm trying to match the beginning of all lines that have tab|space
> chars and I'm using this:
>
> ^[ \t]*

Try to input it as: ^   [   SPC  C-q TAB   ]

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 13:52     ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2006-12-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel wrote:
> I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.

Then you want C-q TAB

Please ignore my prior typeo C-q C-TAB
which has an erroneous C- in fron of TAB.

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 14:23       ` bcochofel
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-22 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, that works...
I can change [ SPB ] to [ ], right?

rgb wrote:

> bcochofel wrote:
> > I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.
> >
> Then you want C-q TAB
>
> Please ignore my prior typeo C-q C-TAB
> which has an erroneous C- in fron of TAB.

* Re: Regex expression
@ 2006-12-22 14:23       ` bcochofel
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-22 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, that works...
I can change [ SPB ] to [ ], right?

@ 2006-12-22 14:26       ` bcochofel
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2229.1166829311.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, that works...
I can change [ SPC ] to [ ], right?

rgb wrote:

> bcochofel wrote:
> > I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.
> >
> Then you want C-q TAB
>
> Please ignore my prior typeo C-q C-TAB
> which has an erroneous C- in fron of TAB.

* Re: Regex expression
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-22 19:19       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2229.1166829311.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-12-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

rgb wrote:
> bcochofel wrote:
>> I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.
>>
> Then you want C-q TAB

Why not just TAB?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Regex expression
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2229.1166829311.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-26 14:29         ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2006-12-26 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> I'm using C-M-s with that syntax.
> >>
> > Then you want C-q TAB
>
> Why not just TAB?

Habbit I suppose.
I can't always remember what's standard vs what I've customized.
C-q TAB works even if the TAB key is customized.