all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 11:18 bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-07 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm using emacs 22.0.90.2 (compiled from cvs)...

I don't like the way dired opens several buffers each time I visited a
new dir so I put:

(put 'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil)

Still the same, I've tried dired-single and I always get several
buffers...

How can I do this?

Also, I'd like to try nc.el (norton commander emulation) but I get
compile the file under my emacs version.
Where can I get mc.el (can't find it anywhere...)

Thanks,
Bruno

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 12:03 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-07 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel wrote:
> Hi, I'm using emacs 22.0.90.2 (compiled from cvs)...
>
> I don't like the way dired opens several buffers each time I visited a
> new dir so I put:
>
> (put 'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil)

That should be ...

 (defun dired-follow-file ()
  "In dired, visit the file or directory on this line.
If a directory is on the current line, replace the current Dired buffer
with one containing the contents of the directory. Otherwise, invoke
`dired-find-file' on the file."
  (interactive)
  (let ((filename (dired-get-filename)))
    (if (file-directory-p filename)
        (find-alternate-file filename)
      (dired-find-file))))

(defun dired-setup-follow-file ()
  (substitute-key-definition
   'dired-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map)
  (substitute-key-definition
   'dired-advertised-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map))

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'dired-setup-follow-file)

>From some code posted by Bourgneuf Francois a couple of months ago.
I'm sure there's a simpler way to do it, but I can't think of it right
now.

> Still the same, I've tried dired-single and I always get several
> buffers...
>
> How can I do this?

If you press return on a directory name in dired then it will open a
new dired buffer.  If you press "a" on a directory name it will replace
the current buffer with that buffer.

I use a combination of these commands to navigate directories.  I also
use "o" - open file/dir in other window and "i" which means insert
subdirectory into this dired window.

> Also, I'd like to try nc.el (norton commander emulation) but I get
> compile the file under my emacs version.
> Where can I get mc.el (can't find it anywhere...)

Don't know, sorry.  But once you've mastered the keys above you should
be OK with Dired.

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 12:27   ` bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-07 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I've tried:
;-------------------------------------------------------------
 (defun dired-follow-file ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((filename (dired-get-filename)))
    (if (file-directory-p filename)
        (find-alternate-file filename)
      (dired-find-file))))

(defun dired-setup-follow-file ()
  (substitute-key-definition
   'dired-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map)
  (substitute-key-definition
   'dired-advertised-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map))

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'dired-setup-follow-file)
;---------------------------------------------------------------

But I cannot change to dirs '.' and '..', I get:

"Cannot operate on '.' or '..'

Using the "a" key I get a message asking if I want to use in all
sessions this options and I answer yes... No good...

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 12:37     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-07 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel wrote:
> Well, I've tried:
> ;-------------------------------------------------------------
>  (defun dired-follow-file ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((filename (dired-get-filename)))
>     (if (file-directory-p filename)
>         (find-alternate-file filename)
>       (dired-find-file))))
>
> (defun dired-setup-follow-file ()
>   (substitute-key-definition
>    'dired-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map)
>   (substitute-key-definition
>    'dired-advertised-find-file 'dired-follow-file dired-mode-map))
>
> (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'dired-setup-follow-file)
> ;---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> But I cannot change to dirs '.' and '..', I get:
>
> "Cannot operate on '.' or '..'

That's weird.  It works fine for me.

> Using the "a" key I get a message asking if I want to use in all
> sessions this options and I answer yes... No good...

That is even weirder.  What does it say when you type C-h k a from
within dired?
What version of Emacs are you using?

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 13:01       ` bcochofel
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1642.1165510250.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-07 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

The dirs '.' and '..' don't work when I press RET but work with 'a'
key...
I was used to use RET key, guess I got to change to 'a'...

I really want to use norton commander, I like very much being able to
(copy, move) from left to right...
Is there any way to make dired show 2 side by side windows? (Without
C-x 3...)

@ 2006-12-07 13:09         ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-07 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

bcochofel wrote:
> The dirs '.' and '..' don't work when I press RET

This is bad.  It work on my machine using Emacs 21.  Pressing "RET" on
"." does nothing of course, but you wouldn't expect it to.

If you're using Emacs 22 then this may be a bug that needs reporting.

I also don't understand why "a" should ask you a question.

> but work with 'a'
> key...
> I was used to use RET key, guess I got to change to 'a'...
>
> I really want to use norton commander, I like very much being able to
> (copy, move) from left to right...
> Is there any way to make dired show 2 side by side windows? (Without
> C-x 3...)

Not that I know of with Dired.

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-07 14:09           ` bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-07 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

The question on pressing "a" only appears the first time, after that
the file .emacs is updated and no more questions.
The dirs '.' and '..' didn't gave me errors when RET key was pressed
before changing my .emacs file... Maybe this has changed on emacs 22.
Now it's working with "a", that's what I wanted, I'll get used to that
key. Thanks

@ 2006-12-07 16:50       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1642.1165510250.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.12.2006 um 13:37 schrieb Robert Thorpe:

>> But I cannot change to dirs '.' and '..', I get:
>>
>> "Cannot operate on '.' or '..'
>
> That's weird.  It works fine for me.
>
>> Using the "a" key I get a message asking if I want to use in all
>> sessions this options and I answer yes... No good...
>
> That is even weirder.  What does it say when you type C-h k a from
> within dired?
> What version of Emacs are you using?

For me too it does not work to type ! on . or .. in GNU Emacs
22.0.9x. But I did not yet check the configuration interface and its
(new or different?) options.

Could be another security thing ...

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

@ 2006-12-08  4:21         ` Joe Bush
From: Joe Bush @ 2006-12-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you tried Evening Commander? Works like Norton, including
side-by-side directories.

Joe.

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-11  1:07         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-11  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"bcochofel" <bruno.cochofel@gmail.com> writes:

> The dirs '.' and '..' don't work when I press RET but work with 'a'
> key...
> I was used to use RET key, guess I got to change to 'a'...
>
> I really want to use norton commander, I like very much being able to
> (copy, move) from left to right...
> Is there any way to make dired show 2 side by side windows? (Without
> C-x 3...)

The only ways I can think of is to specify two side by side windows at
startup or write a lisp function for doing this.

But what is the problem with having a dired buffer and then opening
another side by side with "C-x 3 d" because even under Norton you have
to tell what other directory you want to have in the other Norton
window?

When you have two dired windows then with

(setq dired-dwim-target t)

dired will do similar things for copying and moving like norton- or
midnight commander (mc) (I'm using Emacs 22 I'm not sure this'll work
with 21 though).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: dired mode or norton commander
@ 2006-12-11 18:43 ` Wilmar Igl
From: Wilmar Igl @ 2006-12-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Bruno!

I had the same problems and chose to use ...

* Norton Commander Clone

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/nc.el

but also have an eye on ...

* Speedbar

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SpeedBar

* ECB Code Browser

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCodeBrowser

Greetings, Will

@ 2006-12-12 17:13   ` bcochofel
From: bcochofel @ 2006-12-12 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't compile nc.el under emacs 22. The others I've already knew.
Thanks