all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 15:46 JS
From: JS @ 2005-04-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I can just press M-x auto-save-mode when I enter emacs. But is it
possible to write something in my .emacs file so I auto-save-mode always is
turned off in all buffers?

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 15:49 ` Greg Rowe
From: Greg Rowe @ 2005-04-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

JS wrote:
> I know I can just press M-x auto-save-mode when I enter emacs. But is it
> possible to write something in my .emacs file so I auto-save-mode always is
> turned off in all buffers?

Yes.  The following should do what you are requesting:

(setq auto-save-default nil)

BTW, I came to this answer by running M-x apropos auto-save.  The manual
for emacs is pretty good and the apropos command is a life saver for all
things emacs.  :)

Greg

--
Home is where the .bashrc is.

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 15:53 ` B.T. Raven
From: B.T. Raven @ 2005-04-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <d44sf@44ada.com> wrote in message
> I know I can just press M-x auto-save-mode when I enter emacs. But is
it
> possible to write something in my .emacs file so I auto-save-mode
always is
> turned off in all buffers?

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
.
.
.
.
 '(auto-save-default nil))

Ed

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 18:39   ` JS
From: JS @ 2005-04-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Rowe wrote:

> JS wrote:
>> I know I can just press M-x auto-save-mode when I enter emacs. But is it
>> possible to write something in my .emacs file so I auto-save-mode always
>> is turned off in all buffers?
>
> Yes.  The following should do what you are requesting:
>
> (setq auto-save-default nil)
>
> BTW, I came to this answer by running M-x apropos auto-save.  The manual
> for emacs is pretty good and the apropos command is a life saver for all
> things emacs.  :)
>
> Greg

I can only type:

M-x apropos-auto-save

For some reason it won't omit the "-" between "apropos" and "auto"

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 18:58     ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-04-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

[JS <d44sf@44ada.com>, Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:02 +0200]:
> I can only type:
>
> M-x apropos-auto-save
>
> For some reason it won't omit the "-" between "apropos" and "auto"

Try: M-x apropos RET auto-save RET

HTH,

Albert.

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 19:08       ` JS
From: JS @ 2005-04-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Albert Reiner wrote:

> [JS <d44sf@44ada.com>, Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:02 +0200]:
>> I can only type:
>>
>> M-x apropos-auto-save
>>
>> For some reason it won't omit the "-" between "apropos" and "auto"
>
> Try: M-x apropos RET auto-save RET
>
> HTH,
>
> Albert.

Hehe thanks...then I get a list of auto-save functions, but I don't see
anywhere that that you could put:

(setq auto-save-default nil)

in you .emacs file to permanently turn off auto-save.

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 19:15         ` Albert Reiner
From: Albert Reiner @ 2005-04-13 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

[JS <d44sf@44ada.com>, Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:08:23 +0200]:
> Hehe thanks...then I get a list of auto-save functions, but I don't see
> anywhere that that you could put:
>
> (setq auto-save-default nil)
>
> in you .emacs file to permanently turn off auto-save.

In the *Apropos* buffer I see:

,----
| auto-save-default
|   Variable: *Non-nil says by default do auto-saving of every file-visiting buffer.
|   Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
`----

So by setting that variable to NIL (which is the only value that is
not non-nil) you disable auto-saving.  For setting some symbol to some
value you can use SETQ, or set-variable.

``C-h v auto-save-default RET'' indicates that one can also change its
value with customize which I have never used but seems to be regarded
as more intuitive.

Albert.

* Re: Disable auto-save-mode in .emacs
@ 2005-04-13 19:24         ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2005-04-13 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/13/05 12:08 PM, JS wrote:
> Albert Reiner wrote:
>

>>[JS <d44sf@44ada.com>, Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:39:02 +0200]:
>>
>>>I can only type:
>>>
>>>M-x apropos-auto-save
>>>
>>>For some reason it won't omit the "-" between "apropos" and "auto"
>>
>>Try: M-x apropos RET auto-save RET
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>Albert.
>

> Hehe thanks...then I get a list of auto-save functions, but I don't see
> anywhere that that you could put:
>
> (setq auto-save-default nil)
>
> in you .emacs file to permanently turn off auto-save.

Huh?

I get:

auto-save-default
   Variable: *Non-nil says by default do auto-saving of every
file-visiting buffer.

and if you middle-click on Variable, you get:

auto-save-default's value is t

*Non-nil says by default do auto-saving of every file-visiting buffer.

That tells you what you need to know.

-Jim