all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A big thank you and a tiny question - display japanese output doesnt work quite right
@ 2006-09-13 13:41 Enrico Schwass
From: Enrico Schwass @ 2006-09-13 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

First, emacs is great. Its wonderful. Its amazing. Yeah, I really love
it. I could praise emacs for hours. And I wont lie and wont get tired.

Because I like it that much, I decided to use emacs on my linuX-PDA,
too. It compiles. Great. There is no obvious difference between Desktop-
and PDA-emacs, besides -geometry :)

The OS I use is called pdaXrom. It has a running XServer and a big
application feed. But I wanted to compile emacs by myself.

Now the bad news. If I start emacs and do

M-x set-input-method  ---> japanese

I can enter romanji words and I get hiragana. So I expect. But it
displays only some signs, others are missed if I type. If I go back with
the cursor, the signs appear. They are present. And I can use edict-el
to lookup the dictionary. This works, too. So it seems to be a problem
with displaying/updating the screen.

I didnt get into emacs deep. I guess, its a configuration problem or a
buggy library on my system. I did

ldd emacs

and on the pda its linked with libXaw. On my Desktop-System emacs isnt
linked against libXaw. Could this be the problem? What remains to be
done?

Am I the only one, that is become aware of this problem?

Could you send me some hints?

Thank you in advance
Enno

* Re: A big thank you and a tiny question - display japanese output doesnt work quite right
@ 2006-09-13 20:58 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.09.2006 um 15:41 schrieb Enrico Schwass:

> ldd emacs
>
> and on the pda its linked with libXaw. On my Desktop-System emacs isnt
> linked against libXaw. Could this be the problem? What remains to be
> done?

What you can do, is select "Send Emacs Bug..." from the Help menu –
it will report some properties of your Emacs in a *mail* buffer you
do not need to send! Or via M-x report-emacs-bug RET. M-x emacs-
version RET might explain some other detail.

You can also check configure.log to see which options you used. You
can invoke 'configure --help' to see which option might lead to using
the Athena widgets – could be it's from --with-x-toolkit=. The
default, lucid, should be OK ...

Have you checked the *Messages* buffer? Or have you put the cursor on
this or that vanishing character and typed ``C-u C-x =´´? Could be
there is some problem with the fonts ...

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: A big thank you and a tiny question - display japanese output doesnt work quite right
       [not found] <mailman.6872.1158154939.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-14 20:15 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-09-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enrico Schwass <deckard73@freenet.de> writes:

> and on the pda its linked with libXaw.

libXaw is only used for the scrollbars, and maybe the menu. It is not
likely to affect text display.

* Re: A big thank you and a tiny question - display japanese output doesnt work quite right
@ 2006-09-14 23:08   ` Enrico Schwass
From: Enrico Schwass @ 2006-09-14 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

> > and on the pda its linked with libXaw.
> libXaw is only used for the scrollbars, and maybe the menu. It is not
> likely to affect text display.

Yes. I see. I just linked against motif(lesstif) and had same problem.
Dont know how to debug this. Same emacs from same sources on Ubuntu
works like it should.

I dont know how to use japanese on emacs-nonx. Sure, I need a fitting
console font. Multilanguage stuff is not part of my emacs knowledge so
far. I need time to read all the manuals, I hope it could be solved
finally

thanks
Enno