all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-02 10:10 Johan Tibell
From: Johan Tibell @ 2006-09-02 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I built emacs 23.0.0.1 from CVS to get XFT and GTK support. It works
nicely except that the scroll bar is not the regular GTK one. Any ideas
why this is?

http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~larssont/emacs-scrollbar.png

* Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-02 11:23 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6157.1157196211.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-02 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2 Sep 2006 03:10:03 -0700 Johan Tibell wrote:

> I built emacs 23.0.0.1 from CVS to get XFT and GTK support. It works
> nicely except that the scroll bar is not the regular GTK one. Any ideas
> why this is?
>
> http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~larssont/emacs-scrollbar.png

It's a feature.  This emacs own scrollbar with additional
functionality.  At least on GNU Emacs 22 pass the
--with-toolkit-scroll-bars option to configure to get a less
functional GTK scrollbar.

David

@ 2006-09-02 11:54   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6180.1157248082.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-02 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On 2 Sep 2006 03:10:03 -0700 Johan Tibell wrote:
>
>> I built emacs 23.0.0.1 from CVS to get XFT and GTK support. It works
>> nicely except that the scroll bar is not the regular GTK one. Any ideas
>> why this is?
>>
>> http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~larssont/emacs-scrollbar.png
>
> It's a feature.  This emacs own scrollbar with additional
> functionality.  At least on GNU Emacs 22 pass the
> --with-toolkit-scroll-bars option to configure to get a less
> functional GTK scrollbar.

I think --with-toolkit-scroll-bars is the the default.  I know that I
had to explicitly override this default in the past, since I don't
like the stupid completely unergonomic GTK+ default scrollbar (you
can't switch forward and backward direction without moving the mouse,
you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).

@ 2006-09-02 13:22 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-02 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.09.2006 um 12:10 schrieb Johan Tibell:

> I built emacs 23.0.0.1 from CVS to get XFT and GTK support. It works
> nicely except that the scroll bar is not the regular GTK one.

On Mac OS X 10.4.7 the scroll-bar is GTK. No specific options were
given, just:

	./configure --without-ns --without-carbon --with-x --with-gtk --with-
xft --with-freetype=yes --without-sound --without-pop --with-xpm --
with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --enable-locallisppath=...

Could be you need to select from these configure options:

   --with-x-toolkit=KIT    use an X toolkit (KIT = yes/lucid/athena/
motif/gtk/no)
   --without-toolkit-scroll-bars

i.e. --with-x-toolkit=gtk and maybe an additional --without-toolkit-
scroll-bars=no ?

At the end of the configuration step a list of used libraries and
features is output. One of them is ``Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll
bars?´´ – if the answer is "no" even with setting the configure
options from above, then you might need to check the log file. Last
option would be to invoke 'sh -x ./configure ...' to see what
actually happens during the configure step.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                             - Tom Stoppard

* Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-02 20:03     ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6180.1157248082.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-09-02 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> I think --with-toolkit-scroll-bars is the the default.  I know that I
> had to explicitly override this default in the past, since I don't
> like the stupid completely unergonomic GTK+ default scrollbar (you
> can't switch forward and backward direction without moving the mouse,

Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
explain how to switch between the directions without moving the mouse?

> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).

You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?

Thanks

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-03  6:43       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-09-03  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>

>> I think --with-toolkit-scroll-bars is the the default.  I know that I
>> had to explicitly override this default in the past, since I don't
>> like the stupid completely unergonomic GTK+ default scrollbar (you
>> can't switch forward and backward direction without moving the mouse,
>
> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the
> mouse?

Left mouse button scrolls forward, right mouse button backward.
Regardless where the current position of the "slider" is.

>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>
> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?

No, nothing to do with the handle (there is none): that would require
reseating the mouse during a scrolling action.

No, the scrolling size is controlled by the vertical position of the
click: a click with the left mouse button moves the line where the
click occured to the top of the screen.  A click with the right button
moves the top of the screen down to where the click occured.

* Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-03 11:13         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-09-03 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>>

>>> I think --with-toolkit-scroll-bars is the the default.  I know that I
>>> had to explicitly override this default in the past, since I don't
>>> like the stupid completely unergonomic GTK+ default scrollbar (you
>>> can't switch forward and backward direction without moving the mouse,
>>
>> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
>> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the
>> mouse?
>
> Left mouse button scrolls forward, right mouse button backward.
> Regardless where the current position of the "slider" is.
>

>>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>>
>> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
>> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?
>
> No, nothing to do with the handle (there is none): that would require
> reseating the mouse during a scrolling action.
>
> No, the scrolling size is controlled by the vertical position of the
> click: a click with the left mouse button moves the line where the
> click occured to the top of the screen.  A click with the right button
> moves the top of the screen down to where the click occured.

I've never seen these functionalities, I must conclude that without
additional ./configure options (as you've mentioned) one gets the
toolkit scroll bars.

Thank you for the hint.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-09-07 16:12       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-09-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the mouse?

Right-click click scrolls forward, left-click scrolls backward.  The
middle button usually is used for handle dragging etc.

Clicks work anywhere in the scrollbar, not only in the "trough" areas;
the direction to scroll is determined soley by which button you pick.

>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>
> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?

No, because L/R clicking totally ignores the "handle" position; it uses
the distance from the top of the scrollbar to determine the amount to
scroll.  In some implementations (I don't know if Emacs is one)
scrolling autorepeats if you hold down the button, and you can vary the
scroll speed in real time just by moving the mouse up and down in the
scrollbar.

It's a _lot_ more ergonomic, and much more precise, than the mac/windows
method of scrolling once you get used to it, though I guess it's not
well suited to a one-button mouse... :-)

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff

* Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
@ 2006-09-08 19:18         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-09-08 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
>> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the mouse?
>
> Right-click click scrolls forward, left-click scrolls backward.  The
> middle button usually is used for handle dragging etc.
>
> Clicks work anywhere in the scrollbar, not only in the "trough" areas;
> the direction to scroll is determined soley by which button you
> pick.

I only knew the toolkit scroll bars and couldn't play around.

>>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>>
>> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
>> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?
>
> No, because L/R clicking totally ignores the "handle" position; it uses
> the distance from the top of the scrollbar to determine the amount to
> scroll.  In some implementations (I don't know if Emacs is one)
> scrolling autorepeats if you hold down the button, and you can vary the
> scroll speed in real time just by moving the mouse up and down in the
> scrollbar.
>
> It's a _lot_ more ergonomic, and much more precise, than the mac/windows
> method of scrolling once you get used to it, though I guess it's not
> well suited to a one-button mouse... :-)

Yeees, I'd guess so 8-).  Thanks for the explanation though David did
it also and as he predicted I had to give the configure option
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars to check your hints.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* auto-fill-mode (was: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-09 10:21 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-09 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 02 2006, Johan Tibell wrote:

> http://www.itstud.chalmers.se/~larssont/emacs-scrollbar.png

BTW:

| (setq auto-fill-mode 1)

This should read