all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting truncate-lines to true for all .log files
@ 2006-07-11 19:35 Ones Self
From: Ones Self @ 2006-07-11 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to have all *.log files have truncate-lines set to t,
so lines will not wrap.  How would I set something
like that up?

When I open a .log file in emacs it goes into
fundamental mode.  I could set it to go to a differerent
mode using auto-mode-alist, but which mode?
Do I need to create a new mode for this?
Is there already a good mode dedicated to text
log files in emacs (I couldn't find one)?

Thanks for all your help

* Re: Setting truncate-lines to true for all .log files
@ 2006-07-11 19:55 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.07.2006 um 21:35 schrieb Ones Self:

> When I open a .log file in emacs it goes into
> fundamental mode.  I could set it to go to a differerent
> mode using auto-mode-alist, but which mode?

Text-mode? Sh-mode?

I never could decide which so I just customised

	'(truncate-lines nil)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

* Re: Setting truncate-lines to true for all .log files
@ 2006-07-11 23:32 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-07-11 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ones Self" <oneself@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to have all *.log files have truncate-lines set to t, so
> lines will not wrap. How would I set something like that up?
>
> When I open a .log file in emacs it goes into fundamental mode. I
> could set it to go to a differerent mode using auto-mode-alist, but
> which mode? Do I need to create a new mode for this?

auto-mode-alist can contain any function, so you could get away with
this:

  (defun log-mode ()
    ;; You may want to call `fundamental-mode' or some other mode here
    (setq truncate-lines t))

  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.log\\'" . log-mode))

If you want to make a proper mode:

  (define-derived-mode log-mode fundamental-mode "Log"
    ;; The mode runs `log-mode-hook', so you could use that instead.
    (setq truncate-lines t))

auto-mode-alist as above.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Setting truncate-lines to true for all .log files
@ 2006-07-12 22:45   ` Ones Self
From: Ones Self @ 2006-07-12 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much for your help,

Your solution is both elegant, and does exactly what
I need.