all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Display Problem on emacs-snapshot
@ 2006-06-13  5:18 CyberSnoopy
       [not found] ` <mailman.2849.1150188395.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CyberSnoopy @ 2006-06-13  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for display in emas-snapshot
my .Xresources:

Emacs.Fontset-0: -*-bitstream vera sans
mono-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-14,\

chinese-gb2312:-*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-gb2312.1980-0,\
        chinese-gbk:-*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-gbk-0,\
        unicode:-*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1
Emacs.font: fontset-14
Emacs*fontSet: -*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*,*
Emacs.menu*.font: -*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Emacs.dialog*.font: -*-bitstream vera
serif-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

but the problem is that all the white space show as empty boxes which
makes it totally mess...
is it a problem of emacs or the font?
btw: I download the font from http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

* Re: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Display Problem on emacs-snapshot
@ 2006-06-13  8:46 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2849.1150188395.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-13  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.06.2006 um 07:18 schrieb CyberSnoopy:

> but the problem is that all the white space show as empty boxes which
> makes it totally mess...

Where do these boxes show? In buffers or in dialogs or menus?

Is it Latin or Chinese (full-width) space that is displayed this way?
It it's the latter, then it's likely a problem of the simsun font ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

@ 2006-06-13 17:48   ` CyberSnoopy
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2856.1150228515.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CyberSnoopy @ 2006-06-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

in everywhere except menus since I assign menu simsun font.
it's the latin space.
I've changed sans mono to other fonts like vers serif, and it's ok.
so I think it maybe the problem of the font sans mono...

@ 2006-06-13 19:55     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2856.1150228515.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-13 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.06.2006 um 19:48 schrieb CyberSnoopy:

> in everywhere except menus since I assign menu simsun font.

This line in your previous message seems to be wrong:

	Emacs*fontSet: -*-simsun-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*,*

Do you see the comma? It should be a dash or minus.

Of course I have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono installed, too -- and it
works! Could be the mistake above makes it fail for you. Do you know
how to reload the X defaults?

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

@ 2006-06-13 21:02       ` CyberSnoopy
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2858.1150236331.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CyberSnoopy @ 2006-06-13 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've changed it, but come out to be useless...
to reload your xresources
xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
or xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

@ 2006-06-13 22:05         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2858.1150236331.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-13 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.06.2006 um 23:02 schrieb CyberSnoopy:

> I've changed it, but come out to be useless...
> to reload your xresources
> xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
> or xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

Did you launch a new Emacs after this?

I have no other clue -- except this: did you invoke ttfmkfontdir or
mkfontdir in the directory where you installed the fonts? X11 needs
these files, without them the font might be unknown so GNU Emacs
can't find any/the right glyphs ... which does not explain that it
works with Serif variant.

Once you've created the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files you need an
'xset fp rehash' and need to launch another Emacs to see any change.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."

@ 2006-06-13 22:39           ` CyberSnoopy
From: CyberSnoopy @ 2006-06-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I changed it to some other fonts, and find the same problem with
"Anadale Mono" font.
I really don't know what happens, libxft2? fontconfig? or what else....