all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: esabof@gmail.com
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Render a buffer or string to a simpler string?
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 10:56:03 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

> Maybe we could provide some way to "render to Elisp", which would
>
> provide access to the glyph matrix somehow (probably exporting it as,
>
> say, an array of "glyphs").  I'd imagine an interface along the lines of
>
> "(render-to-lisp START END &optional WINDOW)" to render a particular
>
> region of the current buffer as it would be displayed in WINDOW.
>

> Obviously, some ERT tests could use such a feature, but things like
>
> htmlfontify could probably also make use of it.

Another primitive which I think doesn't exist, is given a position, return it's pixel coordinates. From this one could construct things like region-pixel-width and region-pixel-height.

It might also be useful to be able to store frame renderings as images and compare them. This would also allow a somewhat grotesque way to do transparency. (Save the image (which I think is already possible), overlay the buffer with a SVG, include the rendering in the SVG and render whatever necessary ontop of it).

Evgeni