all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows gets stuck when refill
@ 2006-05-16  6:17 chris.corsair@gmail.com
From: chris.corsair@gmail.com @ 2006-05-16  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

I'm using emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) under WinXP.
Everything is OK except that when I refill a paragraph by press M-q,
the system gets stuck and cpu usage rises to 100%.  Then I have to kill
the emacs process.  I have no idea at all about how does this happen...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Corsair

* Re: Windows gets stuck when refill
@ 2006-05-16 17:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-16 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "chris.corsair@gmail.com" <Chris.corsair@gmail.com>
> Date: 15 May 2006 23:17:11 -0700
>
> I'm using emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) under WinXP.
> Everything is OK except that when I refill a paragraph by press M-q,
> the system gets stuck and cpu usage rises to 100%.  Then I have to kill
> the emacs process.  I have no idea at all about how does this happen...

Thanks for reporting it.

> Any suggestions?

Please report this to emacs-devel@gnu.org, where the Emacs developers
will see it and fix the problem.  Emacs 23.x is still very much
unstable (the next release will be v22.1), so use it at your own risk.

* Re: Windows gets stuck when refill
@ 2006-05-16 17:51 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2006-05-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.corsair@gmail.com" <Chris.corsair@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm using emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) under WinXP.
> Everything is OK except that when I refill a paragraph by press M-q,
> the system gets stuck and cpu usage rises to 100%.  Then I have to kill
> the emacs process.  I have no idea at all about how does this happen...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Corsair

I can't tell you why it happens, but I have a suggestion. Have you
tried longlines.el? It's an add-on that word-wraps correctly without
leaving hard newlines/carriage returns. The only time I ever use fill
functions anymore is when writing responses to newsgroups, since some
newsreaders don't wrap correctly.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* Re: Windows gets stuck when refill
@ 2006-05-18  4:14   ` chris.corsair@gmail.com
From: chris.corsair@gmail.com @ 2006-05-18  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all. I'll report it to the developers.

And I download a 21.3 version, and the M-q is Ok now.

Corsair