all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-15 11:27 blop
From: blop @ 2006-03-15 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to save a document by pressing: C-s instead of C-x C-s.

I would also like to use search by pressing C-f instead of C-s.

What do I type in my .emacs file to make this work?

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-15 11:54 ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2006-03-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"blop" <fedevaps@yahoo.dk> writes:

> I would like to save a document by pressing: C-s instead of C-x C-s.
>
> I would also like to use search by pressing C-f instead of C-s.
>
> What do I type in my .emacs file to make this work?

Are you sure you want to go down that slippery slope?  Sometimes it is
better to conform to the environment than it is to make the environment
conform to you.  Once you start re-defining keys, it can quickly become
a headache.

That being said, there is ample documentation on changing keybindings.
Take a look at global-set-key and of course the emacs info manual..

I hope this points you in the right direction.

rdc

Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
		-- J.R.R. Tolkien

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-15 16:27   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-03-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> Are you sure you want to go down that slippery slope?  Sometimes it is
> better to conform to the environment than it is to make the environment
> conform to you.  Once you start re-defining keys, it can quickly become
> a headache.

I agree not messing with this but if he want to go there, here's a
start:

For saving:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-s") 'save-buffer)

For searching:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-f") 'isearch-forward)

A problem with the latter is that the bindings that work "inside"
isearch still is the same and are more cumbersome to set (it is
possible though).

Many years ago I rebound stuff in Emacs. That was a bad idea. I could
recommend binding commonly used commands to the Fx keys and to use
other unbound keys, but in most cases I avoid rebinding Emacs' stanard
keys as there is often a logic behind them that gets more useful the
more you use Emacs.

/Mathias

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-15 17:24     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-03-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ (info "(emacs)Keymaps") ]
`----

> but in most cases I avoid rebinding Emacs' stanard keys as there is
> often a logic behind them that gets more useful the more you use
> Emacs.

ACK

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-15 18:39     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> I agree not messing with this but if he want to go there, here's a
> start:
>
> For saving:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-s") 'save-buffer)
>
> For searching:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-f") 'isearch-forward)
>
> A problem with the latter is that the bindings that work "inside"
> isearch still is the same and are more cumbersome to set (it is
> possible though).

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-f") 'isearch-repeat-forward)

> Many years ago I rebound stuff in Emacs. That was a bad idea. I could
> recommend binding commonly used commands to the Fx keys and to use
> other unbound keys, but in most cases I avoid rebinding Emacs' stanard
> keys as there is often a logic behind them that gets more useful the
> more you use Emacs.

Agreed!  But there's always an exception that proves the rule:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-q") 'toggle-read-only) ; vc-toggle-read-only
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x v q") 'vc-toggle-read-only)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Filter Mails
@ 2006-03-15 19:35   ` moeller_olaf
From: moeller_olaf @ 2006-03-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to All,

is it possible to begin the Subjekt in all mails by [emacs] or something like
that?

It will be more efficent for filtering emails, 'cause i receive a lot Mails
from different Mailing-Lists.

Thanks a lot

Olaf Möller

Berlin, Germany

* Re: Filter Mails
@ 2006-03-15 20:28     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2006-03-15 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

moeller_olaf@yahoo.de writes:

> is it possible to begin the Subjekt in all mails by [emacs] or
> something like that?
>
> It will be more efficent for filtering emails, 'cause i receive a lot
> Mails from different Mailing-Lists.

That would just add lots of noise and no real benefit.  There are a
number of header fields you can reliably filter on.  As an example, The
"Sender:" field always contains "help-gnu-emacs".

* Re: Filter Mails
@ 2006-03-15 20:30     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.03.2006 um 20:35 schrieb moeller_olaf@yahoo.de:

> is it possible to begin the Subjekt in all mails by [emacs] or
> something like
> that?

Yes, that's possible! Just ask the list administrator.

Can't you make your client use different background colours or fonts
for different from or list addresses?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Wer eher stirbt ist wenigstens länger tot!

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-17  9:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-17  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.03.2006 um 12:27 schrieb blop:

> I would like to save a document by pressing: C-s instead of C-x C-s.
>
> I would also like to use search by pressing C-f instead of C-s.
>
> What do I type in my .emacs file to make this work?

I'd change the sources ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

* Re: Redifine shortkeys?
@ 2006-03-23 18:24 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-03-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I would like to save a document by pressing: C-s instead of C-x C-s.
> I would also like to use search by pressing C-f instead of C-s.
> What do I type in my .emacs file to make this work?

While everyone else has suggested particular keybindings for these, I'd
like to suggest that you consider using CUA mode, which provides such
bindings and many more. Quoting from the "CUA Bindings" page of the
Emacs manual:

,----

`----

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: Filter Mails
@ 2006-04-02 12:00     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-04-02 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[Catching up so I may be late]

   From: moeller_olaf@yahoo.de

   Hi to All,

   is it possible to begin the Subjekt in all mails by [emacs]

Can't you filter on help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org ?

Here I use a simple procmail recipe to add a X-List-Classify header:

# most lists - RFC2919 and some variants.
:0 fhw
* ^((List-Id|X-(Mailing-)?List):(.*[<]\/[^>@\.\/]*))
| formail -I "X-List-Classify: $MATCH"

Then you can filter on the $MATCH part.