all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cut&past
@ 2006-02-14 15:47 christop
From: christop @ 2006-02-14 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

That is not the first time I have the following problem:

See this exemple:
Your are surfing with Mozilla, KDE, Linux.

You copy text with the mouse.

Then you select the emacs window and past with the middle button of the
mouse..

and, and, and... Nothing. Well almost nothing but however not what you
wanted to do.

Thank you

Christophe

PS: It has no link with this forum, but could someone tell me how
to use "linux.debian.user". I write this post using
"mozilla>google>group".
It doesn't work for this group.
And of course I, hence, can't ask them.

I actually need help for my debian.. Even not the place, i'll be
grateful someone whould help
 me.

* Re: cut&past
@ 2006-02-14 20:09 ` christop
       [not found] ` <mailman.130.1139948592.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: christop @ 2006-02-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got the answer

 (custom-set-variables
 '(x-select-enable-clipboard t))

thank you

Chris

* Re: cut&past
@ 2006-02-14 20:18 ` François Gannaz
       [not found] ` <mailman.130.1139948592.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: François Gannaz @ 2006-02-14 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mar 14 fév 07:47, christop a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> That is not the first time I have the following problem:
> See this exemple:
> Your are surfing with Mozilla, KDE, Linux.
> You copy text with the mouse.
> Then you select the emacs window and past with the middle button of the
> mouse..
> and, and, and... Nothing. Well almost nothing but however not what you
> wanted to do.

Please be more precise : Your Emacs version ? Does pasting from Emacs to
Firefox works ? And with other applications, e.g. konsole ? And what
kind of text (encoding) ? What do you obtain ?

I had difficulties pasting japanese text in Emacs, I tried many things
until I installed emacs-snapshot where it worked out of the box.
But if you're pasting "normal" text, you don't need Emacs CVS for it.

> PS: It has no link with this forum, but could someone tell me how
> to use "linux.debian.user". I write this post using
> "mozilla>google>group".
> It doesn't work for this group.
> And of course I, hence, can't ask them.

You need a newsgroup reader like slrn, thunderbird or Gnus!

> I actually need help for my debian.. Even not the place, i'll be
> grateful someone whould help me.

If you ask at the right place, you should find some help. Have a look at
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-support.fr.html

--
François

* Re: cut&past
@ 2006-02-15 16:50   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-15 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Gannaz wrote:
> I had difficulties pasting japanese text in Emacs, I tried many things
> until I installed emacs-snapshot where it worked out of the box.
> But if you're pasting "normal" text, you don't need Emacs CVS for it.

I've had some luck frobbing this variable to match the character set
encoding of the web page I'm pasting from (using Firefox):

,----[ C-h v selection-coding-system RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers