all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Minor Auto-Copyright Update Prob
@ 2006-02-04 23:20 gamename
From: gamename @ 2006-02-04 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I have this in my .emacs file to auto-update copyright info

(add-hook 'after-save-hook 'copyright-update)

 it works great except that the string "Update copyright?" stays in the
mini buffer after the save completes.  How do I get the minibuffer to
clear auto-magically and go back to the normal "wrote <filename>"
string?

TIA,
-T

* Re: Minor Auto-Copyright Update Prob
@ 2006-02-05  0:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-05  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'copyright-update)

This means that the update takes place *after* saving.
Kind of late, don't you think?
Where did you get the idea to use after-save-hook?

* Re: Minor Auto-Copyright Update Prob
@ 2006-02-05  2:30   ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2006-02-05  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stefan,

Good catch.  I copy/pasted from here:
 (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'backup-each-save)
...obviously w/o thinking it through.

What would you suggest  I do to get this functionality?

TIA

* Re: Minor Auto-Copyright Update Prob
@ 2006-02-05 14:07     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Good catch.  I copy/pasted from here:
>  (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'backup-each-save)
> ...obviously w/o thinking it through.

> What would you suggest  I do to get this functionality?

How 'bout reading the doc?
They suggest (add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'copyright-update)
or (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'copyright-update) depending on whether or
not your Emacs is recent enough to have before-save-hook.

* Re: Minor Auto-Copyright Update Prob
@ 2006-02-05 19:08       ` gamename
From: gamename @ 2006-02-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Stefan :)