all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* smtpmail help
@ 2006-01-30 17:55 dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2006-01-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all, I've got myself stuck. I used to use emacs smtpmail on RedHat
9. I've now switched to Slackware 10.2 running the 2.6.15.1 kernel and
can no longer send email. Below are the smtp error I'm getting and a
copy of my .emacs file. I've changed my actual password to "password"
for obvious reasons. I've downloaded and installed gnutls, starttls.el,
libcrypt. The .emacs file is the same I used to use in RH9. Does anyone
have any ideas what I might try next?

 220-pop-sarus.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 3.36 #10 Mon, 30 Jan
2006 12:31:10 -0500

220-NO UCE.  EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or
network

220 equipment to deliver, accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited
e-mail.

EHLO quantumnight.localdomain.earthlink.net

250-pop-sarus.atl.sa.earthlink.net Hello
68-190-246-105.dhcp.rvsd.ca.charter.com [68.190.246.105]

250-SIZE 14680064

250-PIPELINING

250 HELP

MAIL FROM: <dsoliver@earthlink.net> SIZE=112

250 <dsoliver@earthlink.net> is syntactically correct

RCPT TO: <dsoliver@earthlink.net>

550-EarthLink does not recognize your computer (68.190.246.105) as
connecting from an EarthLink connection.  If this is in error, please
contact technical support.

550 relaying to <dsoliver@earthlink.net> prohibited by administrator

QUIT

221 pop-sarus.atl.sa.earthlink.net closing connection

----------------------------

.emaccs file:

; -*- mode: emacs-lisp -*-

;; Set up the keyboard so the delete key on both the regular keyboard
;; and the keypad delete the character under the cursor and to the
right
;; under X, instead of the default, backspace behavior.
(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)
(global-set-key [kp-delete] 'delete-char)

;; turn on font-lock mode
(global-font-lock-mode t)
;; enable visual feedback on selections
(setq-default transient-mark-mode t)

;; always end a file with a newline
(setq require-final-newline t)

;; stop at the end of the file, not just add lines
(setq next-line-add-newlines nil)

(when window-system
  ;; enable wheelmouse support by default
  (mwheel-install)
  ;; use extended compound-text coding for X clipboard
  (set-selection-coding-system 'compound-text-with-extensions))

(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(setq user-mail-address "dsoliver@earthlink.net")
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; for 'mail'
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.earthlink.net")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "earthlink.net")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
'(("smtp.earthlink.net" 25 "dsoliver@earthlink.net" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
'(("smtp.earthlink.net" 25 "dsoliver@earthlink.net" "password")))

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or
cut/paste it!
 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-lynx-emacs))
 '(browse-url-generic-program "lynx")
 '(browse-url-netscape-program "firefox")
 '(visible-bell t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 )

* Re: smtpmail help
@ 2006-01-30 19:51 ` dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2006-01-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I changed (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.earthlink.net") to
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.charter.net"), and everything is
working ok now. My email account is with Earthlink, so I have always
used their smtp server; however, my ISP cable account is with Charter,
so I just switched to their smtp server. Is there a way I could use
earthlink's again without being kicked out? I'm not sure what I would
add to my .emacs file or even if it's possible. My concern is if I
needed to switch to my dial up earthlink account. Of course I could
just change back to Elnk from Chrtr.

* Re: smtpmail help
@ 2006-02-01  3:34   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2006-02-01  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsoliver> Well, I changed (setq smtpmail-smtp-server
dsoliver> "smtp.earthlink.net") to (setq smtpmail-smtp-server
dsoliver> "smtp.charter.net"), and everything is working ok now. My
dsoliver> email account is with Earthlink, so I have always used their
dsoliver> smtp server; however, my ISP cable account is with Charter, so
dsoliver> I just switched to their smtp server. Is there a way I could
dsoliver> use earthlink's again without being kicked out? I'm not sure
dsoliver> what I would add to my .emacs file or even if it's
dsoliver> possible. My concern is if I needed to switch to my dial up
dsoliver> earthlink account. Of course I could just change back to Elnk
dsoliver> from Chrtr.

This has little to do with Emacs, but:

have you tried to _fetch_ your mail from earthlink before your send
experiment?  Many ISPs use the so-called POP before SMTP mechanism
for authentication.  The idea is that when you fetch (with POP or IMAP)
you have to authenticate with a password.  The server remembers the IP
from which you fetched, and if a send is attempted within a time window
(maybe 10 min.) from the same IP it assumes it's the same person,
which is known to be a customer.

Some ISPs also implement proper SMTP authentication, at last.
Gmail is one of those.  I recommend switching to one of them at least for
mail (see my address).

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.

* Re: smtpmail help
@ 2006-02-01  8:49   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-02-01  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"dsoliver@earthlink.net" <dsoliver@earthlink.net> writes:

> Well, I changed (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.earthlink.net") to
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.charter.net"), and everything is
> working ok now. My email account is with Earthlink, so I have always
> used their smtp server; however, my ISP cable account is with Charter,
> so I just switched to their smtp server. Is there a way I could use
> earthlink's again without being kicked out? I'm not sure what I would
> add to my .emacs file or even if it's possible. My concern is if I
> needed to switch to my dial up earthlink account. Of course I could
> just change back to Elnk from Chrtr.

Going by the error message in your earlier mail and from what you
outline above, I suspect there is nothing you can do. What is likely
happening is that earthlink has configured their smtp server to only
accept mail for relaying from addresses wtihin their domain to prevent
spammers from using their mail server as a relay.

The only possible solution I can think of is if earthlink provides an
authenticated gateway for using their mail server. This would require
smtpmail to login into the earthlink server using your earthlink
username and password. I don't know if smtpmail supports this.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: smtpmail help
@ 2006-02-02 20:06     ` dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2006-02-02 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim, you're right, I'm sure. I played with changing my port number from
25 to 465 and 587 to use smtpauth. Things made it a little further, but
then I got the turn on smtp authorization message. I thought that's
what I had already done. Do you think I have a bad or old program, or
just set it up incorrectly? Do I have to turn on those features
manually?

Here's another conundrum: when I email myself (using the charter smtp
server) my earthlink spam filter, which filters out all messages coming
from sources not in my addressbook (kept online at ELnk), my own email
is seen as spam, even though my address is correct in the email and in
my address book. If I email anyone else, they get the message and
return it to me just using their email return function, which uses my
email address as it was received. That returned email comes to me fine.
It's only filtered if I send it to myself. I can't figure that out.

At least I can now send email from Emacs. None of my other email
clients have had these problems. That's why I've been frustrated. Right
now I'm sending this through Thunderbird.

Thanks - - Douglas
Tim X wrote:
> "dsoliver@earthlink.net" <dsoliver@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > Well, I changed (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.earthlink.net") to
> > (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.charter.net"), and everything is
> > working ok now. My email account is with Earthlink, so I have always
> > used their smtp server; however, my ISP cable account is with Charter,
> > so I just switched to their smtp server. Is there a way I could use
> > earthlink's again without being kicked out? I'm not sure what I would
> > add to my .emacs file or even if it's possible. My concern is if I
> > needed to switch to my dial up earthlink account. Of course I could
> > just change back to Elnk from Chrtr.
> >

> Going by the error message in your earlier mail and from what you
> outline above, I suspect there is nothing you can do. What is likely
> happening is that earthlink has configured their smtp server to only
> accept mail for relaying from addresses wtihin their domain to prevent
> spammers from using their mail server as a relay.
>
> The only possible solution I can think of is if earthlink provides an
> authenticated gateway for using their mail server. This would require
> smtpmail to login into the earthlink server using your earthlink
> username and password. I don't know if smtpmail supports this.
>
> HTH
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Cross
> The e-mail address on this message is FALSE (obviously!). My real e-mail is
> to a company in Australia called rapttech and my login is tcross - if you
> really need to send mail, you should be able to work it out!

* Re: smtpmail help
@ 2006-02-03  1:53       ` dsoliver
From: dsoliver @ 2006-02-03  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I erased and reloaded my smtpmail.el, starttls, and gnutls files.
That seemed to fix my first problem. I recompiled my .emacs file. Now I
can use my smtpauth.earthlink.net server. The root of my problem was in
changing from RedHat to Slackware, I didn't double check my install
locations, so I had stuff spread all over the place.

Now, I still have my own email being rejected problem when sent from
emacs. I'm not too worried about that though. Thanks for your help,
Tim. -- Douglas