all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs
@ 2006-02-01  5:48 pranavtiwari
From: pranavtiwari @ 2006-02-01  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my Unix machine, emacs is not loading .emacs.

If I start emacs as:

 % emacs -u $USER

emacs starts up correctly with my .emacs loaded. However, if I start it
without -u option, it ignores my .emacs.

Can someone suggest what the problem could be?

thx,
-p

* Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs
@ 2006-02-01 13:42 ` Maarten Bergvelt
       [not found] ` <mailman.549.1138826204.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-02-01 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1138772912.268515.75560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
> On my Unix machine, emacs is not loading .emacs.
>
> If I start emacs as:
>
>  % emacs -u $USER
>
> emacs starts up correctly with my .emacs loaded. However, if I start it
> without -u option, it ignores my .emacs.
>
> Can someone suggest what the problem could be?
Maybe emacs is aliased to something else?
For instance, I have df aliased. I can see it by
$ alias df
alias df='df -h'

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs
@ 2006-02-01 20:13 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.549.1138826204.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-01 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
> On my Unix machine, emacs is not loading .emacs.
>
> If I start emacs as:
>
>  % emacs -u $USER
>
> emacs starts up correctly with my .emacs loaded. However, if I start it
> without -u option, it ignores my .emacs.
>
> Can someone suggest what the problem could be?

What do these commands tell you:
C-h v user-login-name
C-h v user-real-login-name
C-h v user-init-file
C-h v init-file-user

Does the problem persist when you start emacs as:
emacs --debug-init

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2006-02-02  8:10   ` pranavtiwari
From: pranavtiwari @ 2006-02-02  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
> > On my Unix machine, emacs is not loading .emacs.
> >
> > If I start emacs as:
> >
> >  % emacs -u $USER
> >
> > emacs starts up correctly with my .emacs loaded. However, if I start it
> > without -u option, it ignores my .emacs.
> >
> > Can someone suggest what the problem could be?
>
> What do these commands tell you:
> C-h v user-login-name

root (wrong)

Where is this picked up from? Help says "The user's name, taken from
environment variables if possible.".  My $USER is set correctly. What
other variable could it be trying to use?

> C-h v user-real-login-name

pranav (correct)

> C-h v user-init-file

nil (i assume default will be meaningful)

> C-h v init-file-user

root

> Does the problem persist when you start emacs as:
> emacs --debug-init

Yes it does.

BTW, when I start emacs with -u pranav, the values are:

user-login-name : root (wrong)
user-real-login-name: pranav (correct)
user-init-file: /users/pranav/.emacs
init-file-user: pranav

user-init-file in the normal case is suspect. Given that .emacs is not
being read, how is it supposed to be set before reading the init file?

regards,

@ 2006-02-02 19:31     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-02 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers wrote:
 > > What do these commands tell you:
 > > C-h v user-login-name
 >
 > root (wrong)
 >
 > Where is this picked up from? Help says "The user's name, taken from
 > environment variables if possible.".  My $USER is set correctly. What
 > other variable could it be trying to use?

The value of the user-login-name variable should be the same as the
result of the user-login-name function; is it?

,----[ C-h f user-login-name RET ]

`----

 > > C-h v user-real-login-name
 >
 > pranav (correct)

Again, see the corresponding function:

,----[ C-h f user-real-login-name RET ]
| user-real-login-name is a built-in function.
| (user-real-login-name)
|
| Return the name of the user's real uid, as a string.
| This ignores the environment variables LOGNAME and USER, so it differs
from
| `user-login-name' when running under `su'.
`----

My guess is that you logged in as root, then su'ed to pranav without the
- argument.

 > > C-h v user-init-file
 >
 > nil (i assume default will be meaningful)

No, it's more complicated than that.  It gets set to t by the
command-line function in startup.el, then reset either to the actual
file name (by a call to load) or to nil (if load can't find the file).

 > > C-h v init-file-user
 >
 > root
 >
 > > Does the problem persist when you start emacs as:
 > > emacs --debug-init
 >

 > Yes it does.
 >
 > BTW, when I start emacs with -u pranav, the values are:
 >
 > user-login-name : root (wrong)
 > user-real-login-name: pranav (correct)
 > user-init-file: /users/pranav/.emacs
 > init-file-user: pranav
 >
 > user-init-file in the normal case is suspect. Given that .emacs is not
 > being read, how is it supposed to be set before reading the init file?

It's not, see the command-line function in startup.el.

--
Kevin Rodgers