all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-22 20:00 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-01-22 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have added the following (suitably modified) to my .emacs:

;; mail
(setq user-full-name "Your full name")
(setq user-mail-address "Your email address")

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "Domain name of machine with SMTP
server")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(load-library "smtpmail")

;; rmail

(setenv "MAILHOST" "Domain name of machine with POP3 server")
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
    '("po:Your login") rmail-pop-password-required t)

;; no gnus yet

All I have in "po:Your... etc" is my email address (same as log-in name).
Where does the password go and can it be saved and entered automatically
by emacs? Now when I type C-x m the minibuffer just shows "Sending mail..
but then times out without sending it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-23 18:37 ` John Wallington
       [not found] ` <mailman.2405.1138130155.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Wallington @ 2006-01-23 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:

> All I have in "po:Your... etc" is my email address (same as log-in name).
> Where does the password go and can it be saved and entered automatically
> by emacs?

You can set the variable `rmail-remote-password'.

> Now when I type C-x m the minibuffer just shows "Sending mail..
> but then times out without sending it.

You might like to set `smtpmail-debug-info' to t to see any errors.

If you need to specify a password for your SMTP server then you could
try also seeting the variable `smtpmail-auth-credentials', eg:

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("servername" 25 "username" "password")))

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-24 19:11 ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found] ` <mailman.2405.1138130155.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-01-24 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>

   What am I missing?

Someone has just answered to you but just to be sure, do you plan to deal with
MIME contents and stuff like that ? If so, I would not recommend to use RMAIL
since it is quite poor at playing with MIME.

I personnally switched back to Gnus for this reason.

Xavier

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-28 19:00   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-01-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John Wallington" <jpw@pobox.com> wrote in message
> "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:
>
> > All I have in "po:Your... etc" is my email address (same as log-in
name).
> > Where does the password go and can it be saved and entered
automatically
> > by emacs?
>
> You can set the variable `rmail-remote-password'. *******
>
> > Now when I type C-x m the minibuffer just shows "Sending mail..
> > but then times out without sending it.
>
> You might like to set `smtpmail-debug-info' to t to see any errors.

Thanks, I have done that.

> If you need to specify a password for your SMTP server then you could
> try also seeting the variable `smtpmail-auth-credentials', eg:
>
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       '(("servername" 25 "username" "password"))) *************

* But then the password exists on the system in plaintext, doesn't it? I
am using w32 build, ver. 21.3 on w98.

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
       [not found] ` <mailman.2405.1138130155.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-28 19:03   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-01-28 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Xavier Maillard" <zedek@gnu.org> wrote in message
>    From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
>
>    What am I missing?
>
> Someone has just answered to you but just to be sure, do you plan to
deal with
> MIME contents and stuff like that ? If so, I would not recommend to use
RMAIL
> since it is quite poor at playing with MIME.
>
> I personnally switched back to Gnus for this reason.
>
> Xavier

I want to be able to reliably send and receive email with characters from
arbitrary unicode ranges included. Does that entail MIME encoding or is
8-bit clean enough?

Ed

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-28 19:44     ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2006-01-28 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:

>> If you need to specify a password for your SMTP server then you could
>> try also seeting the variable `smtpmail-auth-credentials', eg:
>>
>> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>       '(("servername" 25 "username" "password"))) *************
>
> * But then the password exists on the system in plaintext, doesn't it? I
> am using w32 build, ver. 21.3 on w98.

The password element of `smtpmail-auth-credentials' can be nil -
meaning to query the user when necessary - rather than the password as
a string.  The variable itself can be an .authinfo/.netrc filename
instead of a list of values.  See C-h v smtpmail-auth-credentials.

* Re: mail rmail gnus on w32
@ 2006-01-29 13:57     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-01-29 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>

   > I personnally switched back to Gnus for this reason.

   I want to be able to reliably send and receive email with characters from
   arbitrary unicode ranges included. Does that entail MIME encoding or is
   8-bit clean enough?

That should be ok then but there are still problems here and there.

Xavier