all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-12 17:23 Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-12-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

could someone please tell me how to turn off adding text to the kill
ring when i am using M-x backward-kill-word? it is a very annoying
"feature".

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-12 20:00 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2005-12-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shug Boabby wrote:

> could someone please tell me how to turn off adding text to the kill
> ring when i am using M-x backward-kill-word? it is a very annoying
> "feature".

;; Here are two from simple.el adapted Funktions, which should work as desired.

(defun delete-word (arg)
  "Delete characters forward until encountering the end of a word.
With argument, do this that many times."
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-region (point) (progn (forward-word arg) (point))))

(defun backward-delete-word (arg)
  "Delete characters backward until encountering the end of a word.
With argument, do this that many times."
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-word (- arg)))

ar

PS.: If its your problem to yank former kills back, use M-y, also repeated

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-12 20:25   ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-12-12 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

excellent! thanks Andreas, just what i needed

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-12 20:47 ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2005-12-12 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Shug!

> could someone please tell me how to turn off adding text to the kill
> ring when i am using M-x backward-kill-word? it is a very annoying
> "feature".

Just use C-g to interrupt the appending.
Assuming backward-kill-word on M-DEL:

M-DEL M-DEL C-g M-DEL

Now only the latest deleted word is on the kill ring.

Stefan.

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-13 18:21   ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-12-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi stefan, the point is that i don't want *any* of the deleted words to
enter into the kill ring. i prefer the kill ring to function the same
way as the clipboard and c&p in all other apps i use... which means
only text that i explicitly M-w (or M-c) gets added to the kill
ring/clipboard.

it is my belief that the situation when someone would want to delete a
word and then paste it elsewhere is a *lot* less frequent than when you
have some text in the clipboard/killring, delete a word and then
paste/yank.

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-13 22:48     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-13 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

> hi stefan, the point is that i don't want *any* of the deleted words
> to enter into the kill ring. i prefer the kill ring to function the
> same way as the clipboard and c&p in all other apps i use... which
> means only text that i explicitly M-w (or M-c) gets added to the
> kill ring/clipboard.
>
> it is my belief that the situation when someone would want to delete
> a word and then paste it elsewhere is a *lot* less frequent than
> when you have some text in the clipboard/killring, delete a word and
> then paste/yank.

Well, you know M-y don't you?

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-14  3:02       ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-12-14  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, you know M-y don't you?

yes, but that's a pain. it's a whole extra command to do something i do
regularly.

i never *ever* want to delete a single word and then wish to yank it
somewhere else, so i want my setup to reflect this.

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-15  0:35         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shug Boabby wrote:
>>Well, you know M-y don't you?
> yes, but that's a pain. it's a whole extra command to do something i do
> regularly.
>
> i never *ever* want to delete a single word and then wish to yank it
> somewhere else, so i want my setup to reflect this.

(defadvice backward-kill-word (around disable-cut activate)
   "Temporarily bind `interprogram-cut-function' to nil."
   (let ((interprogram-cut-function nil))
     ad-do-it))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-15 20:49         ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2005-12-15 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

>> Well, you know M-y don't you?
>
> yes, but that's a pain. it's a whole extra command to do something i do
> regularly.
>
> i never *ever* want to delete a single word and then wish to yank it
> somewhere else, so i want my setup to reflect this.

I just took the kill-word and the backward-kill-word functions and created
versions that call delete-region instead of kill-region.

(defun delete-word (arg)
  "Kill characters forward until encountering the end of a word.
With argument, do this that many times."
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-region (point) (progn (forward-word arg) (point))))

(defun backward-delete-word (arg)
  "Kill characters backward until encountering the end of a word.
With argument, do this that many times."
  (interactive "p")
  (delete-word (- arg)))

With backward-delete-word you can delete the word and you don't alter the kill-ring.

Stefan.

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-16 13:54           ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-12-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi stefan, you mean just like Andreas' first reply to this topic ;-)

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/msg/1e5d97ff3a2d1bb3?dmode=source

* Re: Kill ring and backward-kill-word
@ 2005-12-17 11:10         ` don provan
From: don provan @ 2005-12-17 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

> i never *ever* want to delete a single word and then wish to yank it
> somewhere else, so i want my setup to reflect this.

You know, this reminds me that many years ago when I switched from
Emacs knockoffs that didn't do this to GNU Emacs that did, I found it
astonishing and annoying. I never got around to doing anything about
it, and now I use this feature all the time without so much as
thinking about it. Yes, occasionally it means having to M-y over junk,
but much more often I've gotten a word I want to put somewhere else
into the kill ring with a single kill-word command instead of the
three step mark-move-kill.

-don provan