all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rookie Question: No Separate Minibuffer
@ 2005-12-01  9:01 roland.rau
From: roland.rau @ 2005-12-01  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I installed yesterday (for auctex & preview-latex) GNU Emacs[1].
Coming from XEmacs[2],  I evaluated my .emacs file (or .xemacs/init.el)
line by line and after a short while, GNU Emacs behaved as I hoped.
This morning, however, when I started GNU Emacs, the minibuffer turned
out to be a separate window.
Can somebody point me into the direction what I can do to avoid this?

I checked the usenet for "separate minibuffer" but the results
(typically from the 90s) dealt mainly with the wish to have a separate
minibuffer (which is not my wish).

Thanks,
Roland

[1] "GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-04-17 on
LAPTOP"
[2] "XEmacs 21.4 (patch 13) \"Rational FORTRAN\" [Lucid]
(i586-pc-win32) of Sun May 25 2003 on TSUNAMI"

* Re: Rookie Question: No Separate Minibuffer
@ 2005-12-01 18:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-12-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

roland.rau@gmail.com wrote:
 > I installed yesterday (for auctex & preview-latex) GNU Emacs[1].
 > Coming from XEmacs[2],  I evaluated my .emacs file (or .xemacs/init.el)
 > line by line and after a short while, GNU Emacs behaved as I hoped.
 > This morning, however, when I started GNU Emacs, the minibuffer turned
 > out to be a separate window.
 > Can somebody point me into the direction what I can do to avoid this?
 >
 > I checked the usenet for "separate minibuffer" but the results
 > (typically from the 90s) dealt mainly with the wish to have a separate
 > minibuffer (which is not my wish).

You should have checked the Emacs manual and the Emacs Lisp manual
first.  Something is setting the frame's minibuffer frame parameter to
nil.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Rookie Question: No Separate Minibuffer
@ 2005-12-01 20:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-01 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I installed yesterday (for auctex & preview-latex) GNU Emacs[1].
> Coming from XEmacs[2],  I evaluated my .emacs file (or .xemacs/init.el)
> line by line and after a short while, GNU Emacs behaved as I hoped.
> This morning, however, when I started GNU Emacs, the minibuffer turned
> out to be a separate window.
> Can somebody point me into the direction what I can do to avoid this?

> I checked the usenet for "separate minibuffer" but the results
> (typically from the 90s) dealt mainly with the wish to have a separate
> minibuffer (which is not my wish).

I'd grep for `minibuffer' in your .emacs and any elisp file it loads.

* Re: Rookie Question: No Separate Minibuffer
@ 2005-12-05 10:52   ` roland.rau
From: roland.rau @ 2005-12-05 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to Stefan Monnier and Kevin Rodgers for their replies!
It was, indeed, the case: In some additional file loaded from the
.emacs file, minibuffer's frame parameter was set to nil.
Sorry for the late acknowledgment, but I was away for a few days.

Best,
Roland