all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Encryption with emacs?`
@ 2005-11-28 11:22 casioculture
From: casioculture @ 2005-11-28 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I have my documents that i edit in emacs passworded?

Thanks

* Re: Encryption with emacs?`
@ 2005-11-28 14:48 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-11-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

casioculture@gmail.com writes:
> How can I have my documents that i edit in emacs passworded?

You can do: M-x apropos RET encrypt RET

There is pgg-encrypt / pgg-decrypt which comes with gnus.

Small brave carnivores
Kill pine cones and mosquitoes
Fear vacuum cleaner

* Re: Encryption with emacs?`
@ 2005-11-28 17:18 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-11-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message

> How can I have my documents that i edit in emacs passworded?
>
> Thanks

rot13-other-window            M-x rot13-other-window RET

is probably good enough to protect the innocent. For the ultimate in
encryption put a "provably" random sequence of bytes into a file on a
floppy or flash drive and byte-wise xor your files with this both to
encrypt and to decrypt. If your random file is sufficiently large and
you randomize the file pointer (a start point indexed into the random
file which is stored (also encrypted) as the first bytes of the
encrypted file) then you will have something similar to a one time pad.
Keep the floppy or flash drive with you at all times and microwave it
for 10 minutes on high power if you think you are in danger of being
captured. ;-)

It might be a challenge to implement this in elisp, especially for large
files.

* Re: Encryption with emacs?`
@ 2005-12-12 10:53 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-12-12 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

casioculture@gmail.com writes:

> How can I have my documents that i edit in emacs passworded?
>
> Thanks

I use crypt++ mode. When you try to open an encrypted file it will ask
you for the passphrase. You also have commands to encrypt a file when
it is saved. Once a file has been encrypted, each time you edit it
(after entering the passphrase) it is automatically saved encrypted.

Tim

--
Tim Cross