all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2003-06-14 14:52 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2003-06-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

When I write a mail with gnus or sendmail and want to send it with C-c
C-c I get the error

,----
| wrong type argument: stringp, nil
`----

and the cursor jumps to the From-Line, which is "Tassilo Horn
<heimdall@uni-koblenz.de>" and correct this way.

What's the matter?

Greetings and thanks,
Tassilo

* Re: wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2003-06-14 15:02 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2003-06-14 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hups,

I've got it. I've forgotten to set my smtp server.

Greets,
Tassilo

* Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2004-09-16 19:38 Seth B Schapiro ;011;wsen1;
From: Seth B Schapiro ;011;wsen1; @ 2004-09-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I try to open a file with no extension such as ".emacs" or a file
with the ".txt" extension, I receive the error message "Wrong type
argument: stringp, nil

If I open an emacs buffer, and select "File -> Open File" this problem
is no longer apparent.  This issue began when a file had to be
recovered that was being edited within vi.

Please let me know via email to "sbs1947@rit.edu" what can be done to
correct this problem

- Seth

* Re: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
       [not found] <mailman.3031.1095363873.1998.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-16 23:52 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-09-16 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seth B Schapiro ;011;wsen1; wrote:
 > When I try to open a file with no extension such as ".emacs" or a file
 > with the ".txt" extension, I receive the error message "Wrong type
 > argument: stringp, nil

Does this happen when you invoke emacs from the command line with the
-q --no-sit-file options?

 > If I open an emacs buffer, and select "File -> Open File" this problem
 > is no longer apparent.  This issue began when a file had to be
 > recovered that was being edited within vi.

<menu-bar> <files> <open-file> runs the command find-file

How did you open the file as described in the first paragraph, such
that it caused the error?

 > Please let me know via email to "sbs1947@rit.edu" what can be done to
 > correct this problem

C-h i
m emacs RET
g Reporting Bugs RET
M-x report-emacs-bug RET

--
Kevin Rodgers

* wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2005-11-15 10:35 invokey
From: invokey @ 2005-11-15 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi, all ,
 	I have got some trouble with my emacs to send mail. whenever I C-c
C-c to send a mail under Gnus,
	I always got an error message:
		wrong type argument: stringp, nil

	Yes, I know that might caused by a fake smtp setting, however, I can't
find the bug out.

here are my related lines of .emacs:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "freenews.netfront.net"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "~/Mail")))

(setq nnmail-spool-file '(
   (file :path "/var/spool/mail/zzh")
   (directory :path "/home/zzh/Mail" :suffix ".procmail")
   (pop :server "pop.163.com" :user "biozhang2001" :password "mypswd")

))

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.163.com")
;; If you use the default mail user agent.
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
;; If you use Message or Gnus.
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

here are my related lines of .gnus:

;; SMTP server
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "/home/zzh/Mail")))
(setq user-full-name "biozhang") ;;
(setq user-mail-address "biozhang2001@163.com") ;;
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
'(("smtp.163.com" ;; SMTP server
:port 25
:user "biozhang2001" ;;
:password "mypswd"))) ;;
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.163.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.163.com")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Best Regards

zhang

* Re: wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2005-11-16  6:15 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-11-16  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"invokey" <invokey@gmail.com> writes:

> hi, all ,
>  	I have got some trouble with my emacs to send mail. whenever I C-c
> C-c to send a mail under Gnus,
> 	I always got an error message:
> 		wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> 	Yes, I know that might caused by a fake smtp setting, however, I can't
> find the bug out.

M-x toggle-debug-on-error

When the error is triggered, you'll be dropped into the debug buffer.
You're probably running compiled code so the stack trace will only
show the function names.

If so, do describe-function (c-h f) on the function containing the
error to get the name of the library loading it.  Then use m-x
locate-library to find it on your harddrive.  The lisp file for that
library may be located in the same folder.  If so, load it now.

Use 'q' to abort out of the debug buffer then trigger the error
again.  This time, the stack trace will show the forms within the
final function.  That should be sufficient for you to identify the
variable that is nil.