all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-02-15 12:46 J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2005-02-15 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd love to buy a printed version of the latest edition of the
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the FSF but apparently they don't
sell it anymore.  I know that I can download the PDF, but the manual
weighs in at 990 pages, which is more than I want to print out on
my feeble printer.  Does anyone else sell printed versions of
FSF/GNU documentation?  (I tried Amazon and B&N, but no luck.)

TIA,

jill

--
To  s&e^n]d  me  m~a}i]l  r%e*m?o\v[e  bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-02-15 21:32 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-02-15 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jill,

are there no copy shops and no campus around you? With a CD or a laptop
it might work there ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-02-16 11:03 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2005-02-16 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

  J> I'd love to buy a printed version of the latest edition of the
  J> Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the FSF but apparently they
  J> don't sell it anymore.  I know that I can download the PDF, but
  J> the manual weighs in at 990 pages, which is more than I want to
  J> print out on my feeble printer.  Does anyone else sell printed
  J> versions of FSF/GNU documentation?  (I tried Amazon and B&N, but
  J> no luck.)

GNU does sell printed copies of their documentation, although I don't
know whether they do the elisp manual.

Try...

https://agia.fsf.org/order/

I can't see the elisp manual on this page. You might have to mail
them.

It's worth mentioning that while getting a tree based copy is good for
the FSF, in general its better to read it within Emacs. It's
bundled with recent versions of Emacs (I think), and it will always be
up to date.

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-02-16 18:13 ` harry_bosch
From: harry_bosch @ 2005-02-16 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> wrote:

> I'd love to buy a printed version of the latest edition of the
> Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the FSF but apparently they don't
> sell it anymore.  I know that I can download the PDF, but the manual
> weighs in at 990 pages, which is more than I want to print out on
> my feeble printer.  Does anyone else sell printed versions of
> FSF/GNU documentation?  (I tried Amazon and B&N, but no luck.)

I bought them (it comes in two volumes) a few years ago at a shop in Los
Angeles. You might try their web site:

http://opamp.com

--
harry

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-07  5:43   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-03-07  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Xns95FF67FF74F5Chboschez@64.164.98.7>,
harry_bosch <harry@bosch.org> wrote:
>J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd love to buy a printed version of the latest edition of the
>> Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the FSF but apparently they don't
>> sell it anymore.  I know that I can download the PDF, but the manual
>> weighs in at 990 pages, which is more than I want to print out on
>> my feeble printer.  Does anyone else sell printed versions of
>> FSF/GNU documentation?  (I tried Amazon and B&N, but no luck.)
>
>I bought them (it comes in two volumes) a few years ago at a shop in Los
>Angeles. You might try their web site:
>
>http://opamp.com
>
>--
>harry

Mine is one volume, for version 20, may 1998.

Is your two-volume one newer or older than that?

(If newer, then I'll try to get one like yours too!)

David

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-07 12:30     ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-03-07 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

dc> In article <Xns95FF67FF74F5Chboschez@64.164.98.7>,
dc> harry_bosch <harry@bosch.org> wrote:
>> J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> wrote: >
>> I'd love to buy a printed version of the latest edition of the
>>> Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the FSF but apparently they don't sell it
>>> anymore.  I know that I can download the PDF, but the manual weighs in at
>>> 990 pages, which is more than I want to print out on my feeble printer.
>>> Does anyone else sell printed versions of FSF/GNU documentation?  (I tried
>>> Amazon and B&N, but no luck.)
>>
>> I bought them (it comes in two volumes) a few years ago at a shop in Los
>> Angeles. You might try their web site:
>>
>> http://opamp.com
>>
>> -- harry

dc> Mine is one volume, for version 20, may 1998.

dc> Is your two-volume one newer or older than that?

dc> (If newer, then I'll try to get one like yours too!)

I brought from FSF somewhere in 2001 when I was in US for a short while. If
you plan to buy it, I suggest you wait since they had made quite a lot of
changes. The proof reading is going on and I expect it to be out (not sure
when). I feel it is worth the wait and it costed me [USD] $60. Oh!, it is 2
volumes and wonderful paper quality too.

-dhruva

--
Name : Dhruva Krishnamurthy (dk)
Phone: +91-(0)80-22999190

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-08 20:40     ` harry_bosch
From: harry_bosch @ 2005-03-08 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> Mine is one volume, for version 20, may 1998.
>
> Is your two-volume one newer or older than that?
>
> (If newer, then I'll try to get one like yours too!)

Mine is unfortunately a little old: version 19.29, June 1995

--
harry

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-08 23:38       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-03-08 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

harry_bosch wrote:
> dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>>Mine is one volume, for version 20, may 1998.
>>
>>Is your two-volume one newer or older than that?
>>
>>(If newer, then I'll try to get one like yours too!)
>
> Mine is unfortunately a little old: version 19.29, June 1995

Wow, I thought I was a Luddite for running 19.34 (August 1996) until
last year.  I love being only 2 years behind the bleeding edge with
21.3 (March 2003)!

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-09  3:48       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-09  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hi:
I found this:
http://www.gnupress.org/book3.html
I believe it is the latest. Cross referencing
from the latest GNU Emacs Manual, the ISBN
matches. But I don't see there how to order.

@ 2005-03-09  4:01         ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-03-09  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

tj>   Hi: I found this: http://www.gnupress.org/book3.html I believe it is the
tj> latest. Cross referencing from the latest GNU Emacs Manual, the ISBN
tj> matches. But I don't see there how to order.

I have this copy and it is still the latest available. IMO, it is worth the
wait for the new version. I am quoting the text from the info file version of
the emacs lisp manual which is available in emacs (CVS). The "21.3" part in
the text _might_ change though.
   "This Info file contains edition 2.9 of the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference
Manual, corresponding to GNU Emacs version 21.3."

-dk

--

@ 2005-03-09 16:17           ` Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle @ 2005-03-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy@in.bosch.com> wrote:

> I have this copy and it is still the latest available. IMO, it is
> worth the wait for the new version. I am quoting the text from the
> info file version of the emacs lisp manual which is available in emacs
> (CVS). The "21.3" part in the text _might_ change though.  "This Info
> file contains edition 2.9 of the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual,
> corresponding to GNU Emacs version 21.3."

Does anyone though have a clue how long it will take then until the new
edition is being published?  I am interested in purchasing too ...

ray

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-09 17:12           ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:

> tj>   Hi: I found this: http://www.gnupress.org/book3.html I believe it is the
> tj> latest. Cross referencing from the latest GNU Emacs Manual, the ISBN
> tj> matches. But I don't see there how to order.
>
> I have this copy and it is still the latest available. IMO, it is worth the
> wait for the new version. I am quoting the text from the info file version of
> the emacs lisp manual which is available in emacs (CVS). The "21.3" part in
> the text _might_ change though.
>    "This Info file contains edition 2.9 of the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference
> Manual, corresponding to GNU Emacs version 21.3."
Hi Dhruva:
   How did you obtain it? Were you able to order and pay online? Or did
you have to contact GnuPress the "old fashioned way"?
thanks
tim

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-10  4:24             ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-03-10  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

tj> Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
> [...]

tj> Hi Dhruva: How did you obtain it? Were you able to order and pay online?
tj> Or did you have to contact GnuPress the "old fashioned way"?  thanks tim

I brought it online. I requested my friend in US to use his credit card and
had it shipped to his address. I later collected it and it finally reached
INDIA (my current locale).

Try this link, I guess it still works and I am convinced it is safe.

https://agia.fsf.org/order/

-dhruva

--

@ 2005-03-10  7:25         ` harry_bosch
From: harry_bosch @ 2005-03-10  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wow, I thought I was a Luddite for running 19.34 (August 1996) until
> last year.  I love being only 2 years behind the bleeding edge with
> 21.3 (March 2003)!

:-)  I didn't realize it was that old, until I looked in order to post on
this thread. But I usually use an online reference anyway.

--
harry

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-10 17:28               ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:
<snip ...>
> tj> Hi Dhruva: How did you obtain it? Were you able to order and pay online?
> tj> Or did you have to contact GnuPress the "old fashioned way"?  thanks tim
>
> I brought it online. I requested my friend in US to use his credit card and
> had it shipped to his address. I later collected it and it finally reached
> INDIA (my current locale).
>
> Try this link, I guess it still works and I am convinced it is safe.
>
> https://agia.fsf.org/order/
Hello:
Thanks. I don't believe that I see the manual at that link now.

Yesterday, I called the Free software Foundation and was told that
it was no longer being printed and there was no date set for a later
edition. Shucks!

I then ordered version 18 (pub 1992) used from Amazon for $11.86 USD
(including shipping) and my local UPS store will print out the current
online manual for 5 cents per page. Between the two methods, I guess I
can get the same info (and more paper!) for the same price. Staples and
binder extra ...... I still like paper myself.

tim

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-10 18:13                 ` John W. Eaton
From: John W. Eaton @ 2005-03-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> Yesterday, I called the Free software Foundation and was told that
> it was no longer being printed and there was no date set for a later
> edition. Shucks!

If you want to speed things up, then help in some way by providing code,
documentation, funding, etc.

> I then ordered version 18 (pub 1992) used from Amazon for $11.86 USD
> (including shipping) and my local UPS store will print out the current
> online manual for 5 cents per page. Between the two methods, I guess I
> can get the same info (and more paper!) for the same price. Staples and
> binder extra ...... I still like paper myself.

If possible, it is best to buy printed manuals from the FSF, even if
it means spending a bit more than it would cost to print it yourself,
because then you are supporting the development of more free software
and documentation instead of just supporting your local copy shop or
toner cartridge manufacturer.

jwe

--
Bush tape reveals he used marijuana.  No, not the kind used by convicted
criminals rotting in Texas jails, but the other, youthful-experiment kind.

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-10 18:39                   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:
>

>>Yesterday, I called the Free software Foundation and was told that
>>it was no longer being printed and there was no date set for a later
>>edition. Shucks!
>

> If you want to speed things up, then help in some way by providing code,
> documentation, funding, etc.
>

>>I then ordered version 18 (pub 1992) used from Amazon for $11.86 USD
>>(including shipping) and my local UPS store will print out the current
>>online manual for 5 cents per page. Between the two methods, I guess I
>>can get the same info (and more paper!) for the same price. Staples and
>>binder extra ...... I still like paper myself.
>

> If possible, it is best to buy printed manuals from the FSF, even if
> it means spending a bit more than it would cost to print it yourself,
> because then you are supporting the development of more free software
> and documentation instead of just supporting your local copy shop or
> toner cartridge manufacturer.
>
> jwe

I agree 100% - my business is built on GNU tools. GNU is really the
foundation of what I do and I am deeply grateful. I I'm really quite
disappointed that they have apparently discontinued the printing
of this manual. I do note that the introductory elisp book:
http://www.gnu.org/doc/intro-elisp-2.5.html is currently available, and
that is next on my shopping list.

--
tj

* Re: Where to buy Elisp Ref manual?
@ 2005-03-10 20:12                     ` John W. Eaton
From: John W. Eaton @ 2005-03-10 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> I I'm really quite
> disappointed that they have apparently discontinued the printing
> of this manual.

I guess they see it as the best choice given the alternatives.  They
could order another printing of (1000 copies?) of an obsolete document
that will not sell once the new version is available, or they could
wait and print a new version when it is ready.  Meanwhile, you can get
the info online, though I agree it is useful to have a printed copy (I
still use my printed copy from 1993 but will consider updating when
the new edition for Emacs 22 is available).

jwe

--

@ 2005-03-10 20:25                       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> I guess they see it as the best choice given the alternatives.  They
> could order another printing of (1000 copies?) of an obsolete document
> that will not sell once the new version is available, or they could
> wait and print a new version when it is ready.  Meanwhile, you can get
> the info online, though I agree it is useful to have a printed copy (I
> still use my printed copy from 1993 but will consider updating when
> the new edition for Emacs 22 is available).

I'll wait for ver 22 then...
tj