all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to send give input to lisp, hassle in non-fundamental modes
@ 2005-10-21 10:03 nick
       [not found] ` <mailman.12109.1129901015.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nick @ 2005-10-21 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm configuring emacs for the first time and am not sure what I'm doing
wrong...

I've got GNU Emacs 21.3.50, Common Lisp (OpenMCL), and Haskell (Hugs98)
running on OS X 10.3.9. I can open an emacs *shell* window and run
haskell or lisp, no problem, but as soon as I switch to "lisp-mode" or
"haskell-mode" <RET> no longer sends input to the haskell or the lisp,
even at the end of the buffer (the 'font-lock and indentation, etc work
fine), even after switching back to fundamental mode.

"M-x run-lisp" and "M-x run-haskell" both behave the same way. This
behavior is the same if I'm in lisp, haskel or any interactive shell.

Thanks for your time

Nick

* Re: Unable to send give input to lisp, hassle in non-fundamental modes
@ 2005-10-21 13:23 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.12109.1129901015.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.10.2005 um 12:03 schrieb nick:

> I can open an emacs *shell* window and run
> haskell or lisp, no problem, but as soon as I switch to "lisp-mode" or
> "haskell-mode" <RET> no longer sends input to the haskell or the lisp,

What is C-h k <RET> returning in these modes?

Why don't you upgrade to 21.4 or a more recent Carbon Emacs (22.0.50
from CVS)?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.

@ 2005-10-21 23:11   ` nick
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12185.1129937337.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nick @ 2005-10-21 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>What is C-h k <RET> returning in these modes?

It says:

"ET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
It is bound to RET.
(newline &optional arg)

Insert a newline, and move to left margin of the new line if it's
blank.
If `use-hard-newlines' is non-nil, the newline is marked with the
text-property `hard'.
With arg, insert that many newlines.
Call `auto-fill-function' if the current column number is greater
than the value of `fill-column' and arg is nil."

as opposed to

"RET (translated from <return>) runs the command comint-send-input
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `comint'.
It is bound to RET.
(comint-send-input &optional no-newline)

Send input to process.
After the process output mark, sends all text from the process mark to
point as input to the process.  Before the process output mark, calls
value of variable `comint-get-old-input' to retrieve old input, copies
it to the process mark, and sends it.  A terminal newline is also
inserted into the buffer and sent to the process unless no-newline is
non-nil...."

in a shell mode before switching to lisp or haskell mode. I tried "M-x
comint-send-input" in one of these modes and it says "wrong argument
type, markerp nil"

>Why don't you upgrade to 21.4 or a more recent Carbon Emacs (22.0.50
>from CVS)?

Ok, I will try that.

Thanks

@ 2005-10-21 23:28     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12185.1129937337.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-21 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.10.2005 um 01:11 schrieb nick:

>> What is C-h k <RET> returning in these modes?
>
> It says:
>
> "ET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> It is bound to RET.
> (newline &optional arg)

That's the same as I get (it says RET, you probably didn't copy all).
There must be something different ... M-x describe-mode can give you
work for some hours.

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

@ 2005-10-22  0:46       ` nick
From: nick @ 2005-10-22  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

You're going to love this: I installed carbon emacs and although it is
clearly a different emacs it behaves exactly the same.

I also tried running the emacs's (emacsen?) directly through terminal
instead of the aqua interface and it still behaves the same.

Thanks again

@ 2005-10-22  6:50         ` nick
From: nick @ 2005-10-22  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok... I'm... kind of slow sometimes, sorry...

I fixed my "problem." I hadn't figured out the difference between
lisp-mode and inferior-lisp-mode, and haskell-mode and
inferior-haskell-mode...

haskell-mode features things like font-lock, the ability to write
multiple lines, etc--then a quick C-c C-z pulls up the interpreter in
the shell-like, slightly bare-bones inferior-haskell-mode (in which
<RET> correctly sends emacs to comint-send-input). The
inferior-haskell-mode threw me off because it doesn't appear to work
with font-lock. Still no font lock with lisp-mode, hopefully I can get
SLIME to work!

Thanks for your help

Nick