all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is it possible to set different background for different modes?
@ 2005-10-13 12:48 i.c.code
From: i.c.code @ 2005-10-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to set different background for different modes at same time.
For example, I open two window, one for perl and another for c, but I
want them have different background colors. Is it possible?

Thanks.

* Re: Is it possible to set different background for different modes?
@ 2005-10-13 14:05 ` Slawomir Nowaczyk
From: Slawomir Nowaczyk @ 2005-10-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:48:27 -0700
i.c.code@gmail.com wrote:

#> Hi,
#>
#> I want to set different background for different modes at same time.
#> For example, I open two window, one for perl and another for c, but I
#> want them have different background colors. Is it possible?

Everything is possible in Emacs ;)

Something along those lines seems to work:

(add-hook 'post-command-hook
          (lambda () (if (equal major-mode 'lisp-interaction-mode)
                         (set-background-color "red")
                       (set-background-color "green"))))

Of course, post-command-hook gets executed after every command, so it
may not be the best possible solution.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Be nice to other people--they outnumber you six billion to one.

* Re: Is it possible to set different background for different modes?
@ 2005-10-13 14:49 ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-10-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

i.c.code@gmail.com writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to set different background for different modes at same time.
> For example, I open two window, one for perl and another for c, but I
> want them have different background colors. Is it possible?
>
> Thanks.

  To complete Slawomir's answer, you could use an alist and the
  after-change-major-mode-hook hook.

(defvar back-colors
  '((c-mode . "red") (emacs-lisp-mode . "blue"))
  "Alist for background colors regarding major mode.")
(defvar default-back-color "black")

(defun change-back-color-according-to-major-mode ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((color-elt (assq major-mode back-colors)))
    (set-background-color
     (if color-elt
	 (cdr color-elt)
       default-back-color))))

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook
          'change-back-color-according-to-major-mode)

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should

* Re: Is it possible to set different background for different modes?
@ 2005-10-13 23:07 ` c.c
From: c.c @ 2005-10-13 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, you are all so nice.

But :(,  I think it is possible now, because every time I change one
window's background color, the all windows' background color are
changed, the windows I said are all in one frame.  I think the
impossible is because that the set-background-color is for frame.