all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newb q: inferior-mode buffer not scrolling
@ 2005-09-22 21:14 stevenan
       [not found] ` <mailman.8248.1127490828.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: stevenan @ 2005-09-22 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using emacs to edit ruby, and I have the REPL process in its own
inferior-mode buffer (via inf-ruby.el).  However, when I send it
commands, it doesn't scroll the window down.  So I just always see the
first page of commands...and I have to scroll down to the bottom..  I
use SLIME also, and I never have to do that with its REPL buffer - it
scrolls on its own.  How can I make it auto-scroll?  Should I ask the
ruby ppl instead?  Thanks!

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1 with Win32.

* Re: newb q: inferior-mode buffer not scrolling
@ 2005-09-23 15:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.8248.1127490828.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-09-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

stevenan@gmail.com wrote:
 > I'm using emacs to edit ruby, and I have the REPL process in its own
 > inferior-mode buffer (via inf-ruby.el).  However, when I send it
 > commands, it doesn't scroll the window down.  So I just always see the
 > first page of commands...and I have to scroll down to the bottom..  I
 > use SLIME also, and I never have to do that with its REPL buffer - it
 > scrolls on its own.  How can I make it auto-scroll?  Should I ask the
 > ruby ppl instead?  Thanks!

In the inferior ruby buffer, check the values of the comint-scroll-*
variables.  Assuming you want to set comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input:

(add-hook 'inferior-ruby-mode-hook
           (lambda () (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input 'this)))

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-09-24  5:02   ` stevenan
From: stevenan @ 2005-09-24  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

cool!  actually, this ended up working for me:

(add-hook 'inferior-ruby-mode-hook
 '(lambda () (setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)))

thanks!