all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font-lock problems
@ 2005-09-18 10:50 Mads Jensen
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-09-18 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi NG,

I am trying to get font-lock to color some words, but I am not having
very much luck doing it. I am using regexp-opt for creating a list of
words to colorize. The code, that I am using is this:

<code>
(defface inducks-keyword-face
  '((t (:foreground "green"))) "face for inducks fields")

(defvar inducks-keywords (regexp-opt '("aka" "altcode" "anim" "app"
		"art" "artdir" "background" "brokpg" "cast" "changes"
		"chardesign" "code" "col" "collecting" "comment"
		"country" "date" "desc" "desc" "dir" "distrib" "edit"
		"effectsanim" "enddate" "entrycode" "equiv" "fly"
		"genre" "hero" "hiddencomm" "idc" "includedin"
		"includes" "ink" "internal" "inx" "issdate" "isslang"
		"issuecode" "issueseriescode" "issuevolumecode" "lang"
		"layout" "let" "level" "max" "missing" "music" "names"
		"orderer" "origpg" "owner" "pagel" "pages" "part" "plot"
		"price" "prod" "pscode" "pubdate" "publ" "re" "rp-de"
		"rp-dk" "rp-fi" "rp-se" "ser" "size" "source"
		"story-comm" "storycode" "storyitem" "superref"
		"superrefd" "tim" "title" "titlepref" "trans" "voices"
		"westernl" "writ" "xapp" "xref" "xrefd" "desc-fi"
		"desc-da" "desc-se" "desc-no" "desc-it" "desc-ru"
		"desc-nl" "desc-de") 'words) "inducks keywords to
		colorize")

(font-lock-add-keywords 'inducks-mode
			'(("slam" . 'font-lock-comment-face)))

(font-lock-add-keywords 'inducks-mode
			'(((concat
			    "\\<\\(" inducks-keywords "\\)\\>")
			   . 'inducks-keyword-face)))
</code>

The "slam" is not being colorized either. This is part of a major mode,
I am writing. Thank you very much in advance,
--
Mads Jensen - mail sent to address ends in /dev/null
              s/spam/madsj for emailing me

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.

* Re: font-lock problems
@ 2005-09-19 14:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-09-19 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (font-lock-add-keywords

Major modes shouldn't use font-lock-add-keywords for keywords that are
always highlighted.  It would only make sense for things which change
dynamically (i.e. very rare).

* Re: font-lock problems
@ 2005-09-19 16:07   ` Mads Jensen
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-09-19 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > (font-lock-add-keywords
>
> Major modes shouldn't use font-lock-add-keywords for keywords that are
> always highlighted.  It would only make sense for things which change
> dynamically (i.e. very rare).

How am I supposed to get the words colored ? I have more things to
colorize, but I hope that it'll be easier to make that after learning
how to colorize something in the first place. Someone once pointed me to
(info "(elisp)Face foreground") (or something like that), which wasn't
of any help to me, as I see it.
--

@ 2005-09-19 22:39 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-09-19 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am trying to get font-lock to color some words
> This is part of a major mode, I am writing.

Generally in a major mode you would use something like

(setq font-lock-defaults
  '((inducks-keywords 0 'inducks-keyword-face)
    ...))

rather than font-lock-add-keywords.
I usually only see font-lock-add-keywords used in in
customzation functions such as something put on a mode
hook or in a derived mode.

I didn't look too close at your syntax though.

* Re: font-lock problems
@ 2005-09-20  9:25     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-20  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mads Jensen <spam@raptus.dk> writes:

> > > (font-lock-add-keywords
> >
> > Major modes shouldn't use font-lock-add-keywords for keywords that are
> > always highlighted.  It would only make sense for things which change
> > dynamically (i.e. very rare).
>
> How am I supposed to get the words colored ? I have more things to
> colorize, but I hope that it'll be easier to make that after learning
> how to colorize something in the first place. Someone once pointed me to
> (info "(elisp)Face foreground") (or something like that), which wasn't
> of any help to me, as I see it.
> --

Use the source Luke!

Have a look at a simple mode to get the best way to do it. I found
sql.el (part of the emacs distribution) to be very straight forward
and gave me everything I needed in creating a very basic
mode. Unfortunately that was a few years backa nd I've since stopped
using the mode I created and cannot find its original source. However,
I do remember sql.el put me in the right direction on things like
font-locking, the use of the syntax table, handling of comments and
different comment styles etc.

Tim
--
Tim Cross

* Re: font-lock problems
@ 2005-09-21  2:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-09-21  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How am I supposed to get the words colored ? I have more things to
> colorize, but I hope that it'll be easier to make that after learning
> how to colorize something in the first place. Someone once pointed me to
> (info "(elisp)Face foreground") (or something like that), which wasn't
> of any help to me, as I see it.

Take a look at

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?id=SampleMode