all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using ebrowse with C code
@ 2005-09-15  0:34 funkyj
From: funkyj @ 2005-09-15  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

first, I'm using emacs 21.3 and the code base I'm working on is written
in C.

Glancing over the new (to me) Ebrowse documentation it looks as if
Ebrowse is quite a bit more powerful than the old etags package.  I'd
like to have the class (struct and typedef) browsing and completion
facilities on typedef names and struct membernames.  The Ebrowse
documentation doesn't appear to talk about how ebrowse might be used to
improve the C language experience...

Is is possible to use ebrowse (or etags for that matter) to provide
more powerful browsing and manipulation of C code?

Am I better off sticking with etags and, perhaps, speedbar?

curiously yours,
  --jfc

* Re: using ebrowse with C code
@ 2005-09-21  9:22 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2005-09-21  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Sep 2005, funkyj@gmail.com wrote:

>  first, I'm using emacs 21.3 and the code base I'm working on is written
>  in C.
>
>  Glancing over the new (to me) Ebrowse documentation it looks as if
>  Ebrowse is quite a bit more powerful than the old etags package.  I'd
>  like to have the class (struct and typedef) browsing and completion
>  facilities on typedef names and struct membernames.  The Ebrowse
>  documentation doesn't appear to talk about how ebrowse might be used to
>  improve the C language experience...
>
>  Is is possible to use ebrowse (or etags for that matter) to provide
>  more powerful browsing and manipulation of C code?
>
>  Am I better off sticking with etags and, perhaps, speedbar?

Maybe you would be get the best behavior with a combination of cedet (instead
etags) as parsing-engine and ECB or speedbar as display-engine?!

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: using ebrowse with C code
@ 2005-09-26  7:26   ` funkyj
From: funkyj @ 2005-09-26  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm, never heard of 'cedet' or 'ECB'.  I'll have to look into them...

I stumbled across cscope and xcscope.el and I have been reasonably
happy with them.  xcscope.el thankfully gives a 'grep' like list when
asked to.  The "who calls this function" is nice too.

Cheers,
  --jfc