all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* backward search for histories
@ 2005-06-22  8:06 andyetitmoves
From: andyetitmoves @ 2005-06-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I would like to know if there is any package that can backward search
the history in use from the minibuffer, much like what C-r does in
zsh/bash.

Thanx in advance,
Ramkumar.

* Re: backward search for histories
@ 2005-06-22 18:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-06-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

andyetitmoves wrote:
 > I would like to know if there is any package that can backward search
 > the history in use from the minibuffer, much like what C-r does in
 > zsh/bash.

While entering anything in the minibuffer, M-r runs the
previous-matching-history-element command.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: backward search for histories
@ 2005-06-22 19:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.832.1119466258.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-22 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "andyetitmoves" <andyetitmoves@gmail.com>
> Date: 22 Jun 2005 01:06:21 -0700
>
> I would like to know if there is any package that can backward search
> the history in use from the minibuffer, much like what C-r does in
> zsh/bash.

Doesn't M-r work for you?

* Re: backward search for histories
@ 2005-06-24 13:54 ` kgold
       [not found] ` <mailman.832.1119466258.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: kgold @ 2005-06-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"andyetitmoves" <andyetitmoves@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to know if there is any package that can backward search
> the history in use from the minibuffer, much like what C-r does in
> zsh/bash.

Do you want a history of commands?

C-x ESC ESC recalls the last command.  Up and Down arrows scroll
through the history in the minibuffer.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

@ 2005-06-28 11:52   ` andyetitmoves
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1483.1119980116.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: andyetitmoves @ 2005-06-28 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I do know abt M-r...but I don't want something like enter regexp,
then press enter, to get the element from history...something more
interactive, like iswitchb for example...that's how it is in shells
right...you can do an isearch for a command in history...

@ 2005-06-28 12:02   ` andyetitmoves
From: andyetitmoves @ 2005-06-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-28 17:08     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1483.1119980116.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-06-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

andyetitmoves wrote:
 > Well, I do know abt M-r...but I don't want something like enter regexp,
 > then press enter, to get the element from history...something more
 > interactive, like iswitchb for example...that's how it is in shells
 > right...you can do an isearch for a command in history...

Do you know about google.com?  Searching for "emacs minibuffer history
isearch" yields

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-12/msg00926.html
http://www.sodan.org/~knagano/emacs/minibuf-isearch/

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-06-30  7:42       ` andyetitmoves
From: andyetitmoves @ 2005-06-30  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

well...people do search google, and even places like EmacsWiki, before
posting on the usenet. It's just that sometimes you don't get the
correct keywords. Anyway, my problem is solved. Thanks a lot !

Ramkumar.