all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-06-26 11:57 Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-06-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
file and typed in something like below,

  (setq a 1)
  (setq b 2)

then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has anyone
encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!

-
narke

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-06-27  2:46 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2005-06-27  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <877jgh5nzu.fsf@narke.yellow.line>,
 Steven Woody <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:

> everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
> file and typed in something like below,
>
>   (setq a 1)
>   (setq b 2)
>
> then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
> the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has anyone
> encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!

Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.

Most of the commands that deal with Lisp expressions are Meta-Control.
E.g. M-C-e will go to the end of the current function definition.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-06-27  4:20   ` narke
From: narke @ 2005-06-27  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <877jgh5nzu.fsf@narke.yellow.line>,
>  Steven Woody <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> > statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
> > file and typed in something like below,
> >
> >   (setq a 1)
> >   (setq b 2)
> >
> > then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
> > the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has anyone
> > encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!
>
> Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
> talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
> followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
> parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
> these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.

no. i did mean Ctrol-e and what i expected is go to the end of current
line. in my example, the Ctrol-e always moves cursor to end of the next
line. but if i split a statement into more than one lines, such as
(setq a
      1)
Ctrol-e will work normally. i do not know why.

> Most of the commands that deal with Lisp expressions are Meta-Control.
> E.g. M-C-e will go to the end of the current function definition.

for this case, the M-C-e in my system always goes to the begining of
the next line which immediately below the ending line of the function!

@ 2005-06-27  4:58     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2005-06-27  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1119846018.854668.134710@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "narke" <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <877jgh5nzu.fsf@narke.yellow.line>,
> >  Steven Woody <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> > > statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a
> > > .el
> > > file and typed in something like below,
> > >
> > >   (setq a 1)
> > >   (setq b 2)
> > >
> > > then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a
> > > Ctrl-e,
> > > the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has
> > > anyone
> > > encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.
> > > thanks!
> >
> > Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
> > talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
> > followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
> > parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
> > these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.
>
> no. i did mean Ctrol-e and what i expected is go to the end of current
> line. in my example, the Ctrol-e always moves cursor to end of the next
> line. but if i split a statement into more than one lines, such as
> (setq a
>       1)
> Ctrol-e will work normally. i do not know why.

Sounds like you have some non-standard key bindings.  What does C-h c
C-e show?  For me it says end-of-line.

--

@ 2005-06-27  6:19       ` narke
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1324.1119880749.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: narke @ 2005-06-27  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <1119846018.854668.134710@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "narke" <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Barry Margolin wrote:

> > > Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
> > > talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
> > > followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
> > > parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
> > > these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.
> >
> > no. i did mean Ctrol-e and what i expected is go to the end of current
> > line. in my example, the Ctrol-e always moves cursor to end of the next
> > line. but if i split a statement into more than one lines, such as
> > (setq a
> >       1)
> > Ctrol-e will work normally. i do not know why.
>
> Sounds like you have some non-standard key bindings.  What does C-h c
> C-e show?  For me it says end-of-line.

it says, C-e runs the command move-end-of-line

@ 2005-06-27 13:34         ` Miles Bader
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1324.1119880749.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"narke" <narkewoody@gmail.com> writes:
> it says, C-e runs the command move-end-of-line

It sounds like you're running CVS Emacs.

There have been a few bizarre bugs recently that made line movement
commands do funny things; I don't know if they've been fixed, though.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-06-28  7:16 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-28  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
> file and typed in something like below,

>   (setq a 1)
>   (setq b 2)

> then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
> the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has anyone
> encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!

You're running Emacs-CVS, i.e. unreleased software with weird bugs.
As explained in the file INSTALL.CVS, report problems via
M-x report-emacs-bug to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

@ 2005-07-01  3:48           ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-01  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> "narke" <narkewoody@gmail.com> writes:
>> it says, C-e runs the command move-end-of-line
>
> It sounds like you're running CVS Emacs.

sure! if this is really a bug, can i be noticed when it is fixed?

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-07-02  1:09             ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-07-02  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven Woody <anti-spam.narkewoody@gmail.com.dont-post-to> writes:
> sure! if this is really a bug, can i be noticed when it is fixed?

The bugs I noticed before (which resembled your bug, though I'm not sure
they're actually the same ones) seem to have been fixed in CVS.

-Miles
--
自らを空にして、心を開く時、道は開かれる

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-07-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> it says, C-e runs the command move-end-of-line
>> It sounds like you're running CVS Emacs.
> sure! if this is really a bug, can i be noticed when it is fixed?

Only if you report it with M-x report-emacs-bug

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-07-04 12:46   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2005-07-04 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87k6kf7y0z.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>You're running Emacs-CVS, i.e. unreleased software with weird bugs.
>As explained in the file INSTALL.CVS, report problems via
>M-x report-emacs-bug to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

So, just how do I run M-x report-emacs-bug and have
it (as implied, automatically!) redirect to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

Probable answer?:  Not automatic -- you edit-in that to-addr
*by hand*?

Thanks,

David

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-07-04 19:11               ` Steven Woody
From: Steven Woody @ 2005-07-04 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> It sounds like you're running CVS Emacs.
>> sure! if this is really a bug, can i be noticed when it is fixed?
>
> Only if you report it with M-x report-emacs-bug
>

>         Stefan

i reported that and go back to the lastest stable release, now everything seems
well.

-

@ 2005-07-05  4:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-07-05  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> You're running Emacs-CVS, i.e. unreleased software with weird bugs.
>> As explained in the file INSTALL.CVS, report problems via
>> M-x report-emacs-bug to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

> So, just how do I run M-x report-emacs-bug and have
> it (as implied, automatically!) redirect to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

> Probable answer?:  Not automatic -- you edit-in that to-addr
> *by hand*?

Try it,

* Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
@ 2005-07-05  9:09     ` N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2005-07-05  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <87k6kf7y0z.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
> Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> >
> >You're running Emacs-CVS, i.e. unreleased software with weird bugs.
> >As explained in the file INSTALL.CVS, report problems via
> >M-x report-emacs-bug to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.
>
> So, just how do I run M-x report-emacs-bug and have
> it (as implied, automatically!) redirect to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.
>
> Probable answer?:  Not automatic -- you edit-in that to-addr
> *by hand*?

See the definition of `report-emacs-bug'.  If your Emacs version
contains four numbers, then the bug message is sent to
`report-emacs-bug-pretest-address', whose value is
"emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org".

Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | See mail headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.