all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-06  2:44 Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-06-06  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there,

i realise the flyspell and spell checking .el files heavily depend upon
spell/ispell/aspell being installed on the system, but many modern GUI
libs (such as GTK+2 with GtkSpell and OS X's Aqua/Cocoa) have the
ability to add spell checking to any text-input window. can anyone see
this kind of spellchecking becoming available in GNU Emacs in the
future?

in GTK+2 it is really just a 2-liner in the source to add the support.
but of course that won't do context stuff (like not checking maths
equations in LaTeX mode) but i'm sure it could be worked around.

at the moment i have to maintain 2 dictionaries on OS X as Emacs is not
making use of the system one, its quite irritating... also, these
methods are *much* faster than flyspell.

* Re: Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-06  3:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com>
> Date: 5 Jun 2005 19:44:20 -0700
>
> i realise the flyspell and spell checking .el files heavily depend upon
> spell/ispell/aspell being installed on the system, but many modern GUI
> libs (such as GTK+2 with GtkSpell and OS X's Aqua/Cocoa) have the
> ability to add spell checking to any text-input window. can anyone see
> this kind of spellchecking becoming available in GNU Emacs in the
> future?

Someone will have to volunteer to do the work of checking out these
features and figuring out if and how to integrate them with Emacs.
Until now, no one did.

* Re: Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-06 10:30 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2005 um 04:44 schrieb Shug Boabby:

> at the moment i have to maintain 2 dictionaries on OS X as Emacs is not
> making use of the system one, its quite irritating... also, these
> methods are *much* faster than flyspell.

On the Mac OS X Emacs list a method was shown how to use cocoAspell in
Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.

* Re: Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-07 14:00 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-06-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:

> i realise the flyspell and spell checking .el files heavily depend upon
> spell/ispell/aspell being installed on the system, but many modern GUI
> libs (such as GTK+2 with GtkSpell and OS X's Aqua/Cocoa) have the
> ability to add spell checking to any text-input window. can anyone see
> this kind of spellchecking becoming available in GNU Emacs in the
> future?
>
> in GTK+2 it is really just a 2-liner in the source to add the support.
> but of course that won't do context stuff (like not checking maths
> equations in LaTeX mode) but i'm sure it could be worked around.
>
> at the moment i have to maintain 2 dictionaries on OS X as Emacs is not
> making use of the system one, its quite irritating... also, these
> methods are *much* faster than flyspell.

IMHO, it's the context sensitive spell checker that makes emacs/ispell
so useful.  My guess is that most emacs users are writing text with
markup (code, tex, html, ...) and the ability to check the text while
ignoring the markup is critical.

I used to wonder why people's C code had so many spelling errors,
until I realized that only emacs can spell check the comments and
strings and ignore the code.

And my periodic question:

When I spell check comments and strings and the string is part of
a printf

	printf("\tHello, world\n");

I'd like the spell checker to ignore the letter after the \.
Currently, it complains that tHello is misspelled, causing many false
errors.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-07 17:59   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3723.1118168249.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-06-07 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold wrote:
 > And my periodic question:
 >
 > When I spell check comments and strings and the string is part of
 > a printf
 >
 > 	printf("\tHello, world\n");
 >
 > I'd like the spell checker to ignore the letter after the \.
 > Currently, it complains that tHello is misspelled, causing many false
 > errors.

Can you trick it by adding backslash-character to
ispell-skip-region-alist?

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
                  (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]") ispell-skip-region-alist))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Spell Checking
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3723.1118168249.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-07 21:28     ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-06-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
> kgold wrote:
>  > When I spell check comments and strings and the string is part of
>  > a printf
>  >
>  > 	printf("\tHello, world\n");
>  >
>  > I'd like the spell checker to ignore the letter after the \.
>  > Currently, it complains that tHello is misspelled, causing many false
>  > errors.
>
> Can you trick it by adding backslash-character to
> ispell-skip-region-alist?
>
> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
>            (lambda ()
>              (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
>                   (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]") ispell-skip-region-alist))))

Works perfectly.  Thanks once again.

--

@ 2005-06-07 22:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you trick it by adding backslash-character to
> ispell-skip-region-alist?

> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
>            (lambda ()
>              (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
>                   (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]") ispell-skip-region-alist))))

Could you maybe pass this on to CC-mode people?
Or does it have some negative side effect (like severe slowdown)?

* Re: Spell Checking
@ 2005-06-08 17:05       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-06-08 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
 > Could you maybe pass this on to CC-mode people?

Done.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Spell Checking
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3723.1118168249.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-09  0:10   ` Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2005-06-09  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> it's the context sensitive spell checker that makes
> emacs/ispell so useful.

absolutely! it should be trivial to add simple "check all spelling" to,
say, the GTK builds... but being able to get flyspell to switch on/off
the system spell checker for regions is something i have no experience
with on gtk or cocoa. obviously any solution would have to tie in to
the current emacs context powers, or it'd be just annoying.

* Spell checking
@ 2008-05-13  6:04 Oleg Oltar
From: Oleg Oltar @ 2008-05-13  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I am trying to use spell check in emacs.

I installed aspell and needed dictionary (I use Ukrainian). Then run command
M-x ispell-change-dictionary and choose needed dictionary (Ukrainian)
But then when I run a command ispell-buffer I get message: "invalid coding
system: koi8-u"

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

PS: The error screenshot is in the attached file

[-- Attachment #2: encoding.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 16176 bytes --]

* Re: Spell checking
@ 2008-05-14  3:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-14  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:04:46 +0300
> From: "Oleg Oltar" <oltarasenko@gmail.com>
>
> I installed aspell and needed dictionary (I use Ukrainian). Then run command
> M-x ispell-change-dictionary and choose needed dictionary (Ukrainian)
> But then when I run a command ispell-buffer I get message: "invalid coding
> system: koi8-u"

What version of Emacs is that?  What does "M-x emacs-version RET"
display?