all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* aspell and special characters
@ 2005-04-22 22:27 Sebastian Schubert
       [not found] ` <mailman.2681.1114212421.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2005-04-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to use aspell with emacs and so I put the following lines into
my .emacs:

(setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")
(require 'ispell)

The problem is that I can't check words which include special characters
like äöü (Umlaute). I tried the dictionaries "german", "german8", "deutsch"
and "deutsch8". emacs shows me e.g. Färbe as a correction possibility, so
it looks like an encoding problem to me. I use a Suse 9.2 system (utf8) and
a self-compiled emacs 21.4.1.
However, running aspell in a shell on the same file works well, ispell works
in emacs too.

What can I do?

Thanks
Sebastian

* Re: aspell and special characters
@ 2005-04-22 23:25 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2681.1114212421.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-22 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.04.2005 um 00:27 schrieb Sebastian Schubert:

> emacs shows me e.g. Färbe as a correction possibility, so
> it looks like an encoding problem to me.

Not really. GNU Emacs uses UTF-8. ä = C3 A4 = "ä"

> What can I do?

Change your font or fontset. ISO 10646-1 is an Unicode encoding -- and
augment your environment with settings for LANG, LC_CTYPE like
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 that GNU Emacs sees, you're working in a mature
environment. Seeing this environment it will set all buffers to UTF-8,
except you provide a different coding. (You remember headers like ``;;;
-*- mode: Text; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-´´?)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Nazionalismus ist die Religion der armen Schweine

@ 2005-04-23 11:24   ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2005-04-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.04.2005 um 00:27 schrieb Sebastian Schubert:
>
>> emacs shows me e.g. Färbe as a correction possibility, so
>> it looks like an encoding problem to me.
>
> Not really. GNU Emacs uses UTF-8. ä = C3 A4 = "ä"
>

>> What can I do?
>>

> Change your font or fontset.

Mmmh. I set

emacs.font: -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*

in my .Xresources.

> ISO 10646-1 is an Unicode encoding -- and
> augment your environment with settings for LANG, LC_CTYPE like
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 that GNU Emacs sees, you're working in a mature
> environment. Seeing this environment it will set all buffers to UTF-8,
> except you provide a different coding.

I think utf8 is already working here. I can look at a utf8 file including
Georgian, Thai, Braille, mathematical signs,... without problems. C-h C
gives me

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  u -- mule-utf-8-unix
Default coding system (for new files):
  u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)
Coding system for keyboard input:
  nil
Coding system for terminal output:
  u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)
Defaults for subprocess I/O:
  decoding: u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)
  encoding: u -- mule-utf-8 (alias: utf-8)

Only aspell isn't working in emacs. So there is no need of setting LANG
somewhere, isn't it? If it was still necessary, do I have to put it
into .Xressources?

@ 2005-04-23 11:57     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2743.1114257921.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-23 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.04.2005 um 13:24 schrieb Sebastian Schubert:

> Only aspell isn't working in emacs. So there is no need of setting LANG
> somewhere, isn't it? If it was still necessary, do I have to put it
> into .Xressources?

LANG and LC_CTYPE belong into your run-time environment, something the
shell will reveal upon invoking env or printenv. These environment
variables are set in your shell's rc file.

aspell is also known as american spell - guess why! ispell is more
international and the best since 25 years.

Besides this: ä = C3 A4 = "ä" - so there was an UTF-8 output made but
not correctly recognized. You can check yourself with C-u C-x = on the
characters in question ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)

@ 2005-04-23 13:02       ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2005-04-23 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.04.2005 um 13:24 schrieb Sebastian Schubert:
>
>> Only aspell isn't working in emacs. So there is no need of setting LANG
>> somewhere, isn't it? If it was still necessary, do I have to put it
>> into .Xressources?
>
> LANG and LC_CTYPE belong into your run-time environment, something the
> shell will reveal upon invoking env or printenv. These environment
> variables are set in your shell's rc file.

Thanks for information.
The variable is already set:
sebschub@Wanze:~> env | grep "LANG"
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

> aspell is also known as american spell - guess why! ispell is more
> international and the best since 25 years.

I'll test both.

> Besides this: ä = C3 A4 = "ä" - so there was an UTF-8 output made but
> not correctly recognized. You can check yourself with C-u C-x = on the
> characters in question ...

Yes, it shows me that it is not utf8. The problem is not aspell, though. It
is the ispell.el which I was able to patch with

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=945391&group_id=245&atid=300245

(link found on aspell.net). It works now.

@ 2005-04-23 13:26     ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-04-23 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

El sáb, 23-04-2005 a las 13:24 +0200, Sebastian Schubert escribió:
> Only aspell isn't working in emacs. So there is no need of setting LANG
> somewhere, isn't it? If it was still necessary, do I have to put it
> into .Xressources?

"Unlike Ispell, Aspell can also easily check documents in UTF-8 without
having to use a special dictionary. Aspell will also do its best to
respect the current locale setting."

http://aspell.sourceforge.net/

So, yes, maybe you need the LANG setting. Where to set it would depends
on your distro and environment, but usually it's enough to set it at
your .bash_profile.

Cordially, Ismael