all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using <apps> as a modifier key?
@ 2005-04-14 10:13 Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-04-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On many modern keyboards there is that <apps> key (to the right of the
<rwindows> key. I never or at least very seldom use it and wonder if
it is possible to use it as another modifier key, both under GNU/Linux
and Windows XP.

Possible to do? Any pointers?

/Mathias

* Re: Using <apps> as a modifier key?
@ 2005-04-14 19:25 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-04-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> On many modern keyboards there is that <apps> key (to the right of
the
> <rwindows> key. I never or at least very seldom use it and wonder if
> it is possible to use it as another modifier key, both under
GNU/Linux
> and Windows XP.
>
> Possible to do? Any pointers?
>
> /Mathias

I use it all the time.  I've mapped the C-x stuff over there
because I use CUA and that rids me of the conflict.
You can also use <C-lwindow> (and <C-rwindow> if you've got one).
I wrote something up on it just recently.
Look here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrefixKey

* Re: Using <apps> as a modifier key?
@ 2005-04-15 12:03   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-04-15 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

> I use it all the time.  I've mapped the C-x stuff over there because
> I use CUA and that rids me of the conflict.  You can also use
> <C-lwindow> (and <C-rwindow> if you've got one).  I wrote something
> up on it just recently.  Look here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrefixKey

Ah, yes, I've seen that (I'm MaDa on EmacsWiki), a very nice tutoarial
on prefix keys. But, if I interpret the page correctly, there is no
description on how to use <apps> as a *modifier* key, i.e. one like
Shift, Control or Alt.

I'd love to have an extra modifier key that I can use together with
the full range of "normal" keys to bind new commands.

Maybe this is not possible at all, maybe those keys are,
hardware-wise, special?

@ 2005-04-15 16:57     ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-04-15 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'd love to have an extra modifier key that I can use together with
> the full range of "normal" keys to bind new commands.
>
> Maybe this is not possible at all, maybe those keys are,
> hardware-wise, special?

I'm no expert but

I don't believe the <apps> key is any different than function keys,
the arrow keys etc.  <C-apps>, <S-M-apps> etc can all be mapped.
It's a convenient prefix key which is why I use it for C-x & C-c.
I'm pretty sure applications aren't normally notified when
modifier-keys are pressed.  They are only informed of the state
of the modifier-flags-word when a non-modifier key is pressed.

IOW when you press 'h' Emacs gets a message with one word showing
the state of the modifier-flags and another showing the key that
was pressed.  This way the OS/keyboard-driver can implement
handicap features like anti-bounce, sticky keys, virtual keyboards
etc without applications needing to know they exist.

Making <apps> a modifier would require fiddling with the driver.
Try looking here for a loophole you can take advantage of if
you're energetic about a way to do it.  Otherwise you've got
8 unused prefix keys available thru it....

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/default.mspx

* Re: Using <apps> as a modifier key?
@ 2005-04-16  4:13       ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-04-16  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias> I'd love to have an extra modifier key that I can use together
Mathias> with the full range of "normal" keys to bind new commands.

Mathias> Maybe this is not possible at all, maybe those keys are,
Mathias> hardware-wise, special?

rgb> I don't believe the <apps> key is any different than function keys,
rgb> the arrow keys etc.  <C-apps>, <S-M-apps> etc can all be mapped.
rgb> It's a convenient prefix key which is why I use it for C-x & C-c.
rgb> I'm pretty sure applications aren't normally notified when
rgb> modifier-keys are pressed.  They are only informed of the state of
rgb> the modifier-flags-word when a non-modifier key is pressed.

I don't think it's a function of the hardware, but I think some keycodes
are "more equal" to X than others.  For example, my laptop has two extra
"Next Window" and "Previous Window" keys in the lower right corner.
I have no trouble setting them as Mod3 and Mod5 via xmodmap, but for
the life of me I cannot set them up as independent keysyms.

This could have something to do with Xkb, a subject on which I am
completely ignorant.  Xperts out there?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.

* Re: Using <apps> as a modifier key?
@ 2005-04-19 15:29       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-04-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

> I don't believe the <apps> key is any different than function keys,
> the arrow keys etc.  <C-apps>, <S-M-apps> etc can all be mapped.

OK.

> Making <apps> a modifier would require fiddling with the driver.
> Try looking here for a loophole you can take advantage of if
> you're energetic about a way to do it.  Otherwise you've got
> 8 unused prefix keys available thru it....
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/default.mspx

Or, maybe the Caps Lock <-> Ctrl trick can be applied to this
situation too?

/Mathias