all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Search through emacs' help?
@ 2005-03-30 21:54 Sebastian Schubert
       [not found] ` <424b1f61$0$27194$9b4e6d93-vjSzOcsjC4jYJ3RwVI/HE3/75uz/KqYjrE5yTffgRl4@public.gmane.org>
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2005-03-30 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for example if I
search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling" somewhere and want
to get help. Is that possible?

Thanks for advice
Sebastian

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
       [not found] ` <424b1f61$0$27194$9b4e6d93-vjSzOcsjC4jYJ3RwVI/HE3/75uz/KqYjrE5yTffgRl4@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-03-30 22:05   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-03-30 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org> writes:

> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for example if I
> search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling" somewhere and want
> to get help. Is that possible?

Using the index of the info-pages
,----
| C-h i m Emacs i spelling
`----
you'll find
,----[ (info "(emacs)Spelling") ]
| This section describes the commands to check the spelling of a single word
| or of a portion of a buffer.  These commands work with the spelling checker
| program Ispell, which is not part of Emacs.  *Note Ispell: (ispell)Top.
| [...]
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
       [not found] ` <424b1f61$0$27194$9b4e6d93-vjSzOcsjC4jYJ3RwVI/HE3/75uz/KqYjrE5yTffgRl4@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-03-30 22:12 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert@gmx.de> writes:

> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for
> example if I search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling"
> somewhere and want to get help. Is that possible?

If all else fails, you could read the documentation.  Right at the top
of the Emacs manual it is mentioned that "h" will take you to an Info
tutorial.

Anyway, here is how to look at "spell" via the index:

C-h i d m emacs RET i spell RET

You can also select the Emacs manual from the Help menu, then type

    i spell RET

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
       [not found] ` <424b1f61$0$27194$9b4e6d93-vjSzOcsjC4jYJ3RwVI/HE3/75uz/KqYjrE5yTffgRl4@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-03-30 22:32 ` Sebastian Luque
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-03-30 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for example
> if I search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling" somewhere
> and want to get help. Is that possible?

Do you want something other than C-h-a, or M-x apropos?

--
Sebastian P. Luque

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
@ 2005-03-31  7:00   ` Sebastian Schubert
From: Sebastian Schubert @ 2005-03-31  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for
>> example if I search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling"
>> somewhere and want to get help. Is that possible?
>
> If all else fails, you could read the documentation.  Right at the top
> of the Emacs manual it is mentioned that "h" will take you to an Info
> tutorial.

Mmmh, you are right. I thought C-h C-h would help me, so I read only there.

Thanks to all for help

Sebastian

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-31  8:53 ` Olive
       [not found] ` <mailman.703.1112223096.28103.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Olive @ 2005-03-31  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for example if I
> search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling" somewhere and want
> to get help. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks for advice
> Sebastian

A nice trick is also

C-h f <TAB>

go in the window of completion and do a search <Ctrl> s

most functions have name that are intuitive and esay to find this way.

olive

* Re: Search through emacs' help?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-31 19:14 ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found] ` <mailman.703.1112223096.28103.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-03-31 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert@gmx.de> wrote on Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:54:49 +0200:
> Hi,

> is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for example
> if I search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling" somewhere
> and want to get help. Is that possible?

Another useful trick, once you're in the Emacs manual, is `s'.  The `s'
command will search through the entire manual for the string (or it might
be a regular expression) you give.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

@ 2005-03-31 21:35   ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-03-31 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian Luque wrote:
> Sebastian Schubert <sebastian-schubert@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to really search through emacs' help? I mean for
example
> > if I search how to check spelling I want to enter "spelling"
somewhere
> > and want to get help. Is that possible?
>

> Do you want something other than C-h-a, or M-x apropos?

There is M-x apropos-documentation in the CVS Emacs.