all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs coding system
@ 2004-11-08 13:11 Thomas Beresford
From: Thomas Beresford @ 2004-11-08 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I set up emacs so it will open and save files in utf-8 coding system?

Thomas Beresford

---- Get Urchin 6 On Demand web analytics. Because you can't wait to be found.
http://www.urchin.com/?utm_campaign=U6OD&utm_medium=email&source=spymac.com&content=cantwait

* Re: emacs coding system
       [not found] <mailman.1399.1099920039.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-08 21:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-08 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How can I set up emacs so it will open and save files in utf-8 coding system?

   export LANG=foo_BAR.utf-8

I.e. set your locale.

* Re: emacs coding system
       [not found] <mailman.2331.1100267657.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-12 20:16 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-11-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 12 2004, Thomas Beresford wrote:

> Isn't there an alternative way to do that? Editing the .emacs for example?

Please don't top-post.

[...]
>>> How can I set up emacs so it will open and save files in utf-8
>>> coding system?
>>
>>   export LANG=foo_BAR.utf-8
>>
>>I.e. set your locale.

(set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS Emacs.
Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see the
manual for details:

(info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
(info "(emacs)Language Environments")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: emacs coding system
@ 2004-11-13  3:44   ` Edward Casey
From: Edward Casey @ 2004-11-13  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote in message
> On Fri, Nov 12 2004, Thomas Beresford wrote:
>
> > Isn't there an alternative way to do that? Editing the .emacs for
example?

> Please don't top-post.
>
> [...]
> >>
> >>   export LANG=foo_BAR.utf-8
> >>
> >>I.e. set your locale.
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS Emacs.
> Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see the
> manual for details:
>
> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
> (info "(emacs)Language Environments")
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I.
What's the difference between (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and
putting something like form below in .emacs? :

(custom-set-variables
   '(case-fold-search t)
   '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
   '(default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))

II. Related question:

I want to add upper and lower case y with macron to the
\leim\quail\latin-post.el code. I know that the cardo.ttf font has the
glyphs and I think that micross.ttf (Microsoft Sans Serif) has them. The
code points are U+0232 and U+0233 but I don't know how to insert these
characters into the lisp code. Can I specify a hex value in some format
in this context? Do I also need a specific cp_*.nls code page file
registered in MS Windows in order to get this to work?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: emacs coding system
@ 2004-11-13 11:28     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-11-13 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 13 2004, Edward Casey wrote:

> "Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote...
[...]
>> (set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS Emacs.
>> Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see the
>> manual for details:
>>
>> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
>> (info "(emacs)Language Environments")
[...]
> I.
> What's the difference between (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and
> putting something like form below in .emacs? :
>
> (custom-set-variables
>    '(case-fold-search t)
>    '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")

How about reading the manual node that I have posted above?  ;-) Both
methods are equivalent:

`----

>    '(default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
[...]
> I want to add upper and lower case y with macron to the
> \leim\quail\latin-post.el code. [...] The code points are U+0232 and
> U+0233

AFAIK, the input methods are not well documented.  But it should work
like this:

(when (and (load "quail/latin-post" t)
	   ;; side effect: also change the default input method:
	   (setq default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
  (quail-defrule "Y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0232) "latin-4-postfix")
  (quail-defrule "y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0233) "latin-4-postfix"))

Let's test it: `Y -' ==> Ȳ, and `y -' ==> ȳ.  Seem to work for me.

BTW: Using the TeX input method, you can get the characters
with `\ = Y' and `\ = y'.

> but I don't know how to insert these characters into the lisp code.

The thread with the subject "Unicode literals" in comp.emacs might
also be of interest for you:
http://groups.google.com/groups?rnum=1&threadm=m2lld7o3mh.fsf@seki.fr

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: emacs coding system
@ 2004-11-13 19:08       ` Edward Casey
From: Edward Casey @ 2004-11-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Nov 13 2004, Edward Casey wrote:
>
> > "Reiner Steib" <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> wrote...
> [...]
> >> (set-language-environment "UTF-8") if you use Emacs 21.3 or CVS
Emacs.
> >> Probably you can also use `prefer-coding-system' and friends, see
the
> >> manual for details:
> >>
> >> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
> >> (info "(emacs)Language Environments")
> [...]
> > I.
> > What's the difference between (set-language-environment "UTF-8") and
> > putting something like form below in .emacs? :
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> >    '(case-fold-search t)
> >    '(current-language-environment "UTF-8")
>
> How about reading the manual node that I have posted above?  ;-) Both
> methods are equivalent:

Which node I turned to only after posting the above. Sorry. Greenhorn
here.

> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Language Environments") ]
> |    To select a language environment, you can customize the variable
> | `current-language-environment' or use the command `M-x
> | set-language-environment'.  It makes no difference which buffer is
> | current when you use this command, because the effects apply
globally to
> | the Emacs session.
> `----
>
> >    '(default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
> [...]
> > I want to add upper and lower case y with macron to the
> > \leim\quail\latin-post.el code. [...] The code points are U+0232 and
> > U+0233
>
> AFAIK, the input methods are not well documented.  But it should work
> like this:

> (when (and (load "quail/latin-post" t)
>    ;; side effect: also change the default input method:
>    (setq default-input-method "latin-4-postfix"))
>   (quail-defrule "Y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0232) "latin-4-postfix")
>   (quail-defrule "y-" (decode-char 'ucs #x0233) "latin-4-postfix"))

I assume that this can be added to my .emacs or evaluated in a lisp
buffer. I will try both. Although I have been warned against it I would
like to make the changes directly to the latin-post.el. Could I get away
with something like:

(quail-define-rules
[...]

 ("Y-" ?#x0232)  ;;; I tried to copy paste these but they were corrupted
by Outlook Express. (Maybe it's "\x0233" or some other combination
 ("y-" ?#x0233)   ;;; of slashes, hashes, or single or double quotes)

[...]

> Let's test it: `Y -' ==> Ȳ, and `y -' ==> ȳ.  Seem to work for me.
>
> BTW: Using the TeX input method, you can get the characters
> with `\ = Y' and `\ = y'.
>
> > but I don't know how to insert these characters into the lisp code.
>
> The thread with the subject "Unicode literals" in comp.emacs might
> also be of interest for you:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?rnum=1&threadm=m2lld7o3mh.fsf@seki.fr

Thanks. I did read this since I knew it was pertinent to my problem but
I understood dimly if at all.

> Bye, Reiner.

Bye and thanks again,
Ed

* Re: emacs coding system
@ 2004-11-13 21:58         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-11-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 13 2004, Edward Casey wrote:

> I assume that this can be added to my .emacs or evaluated in a lisp
> buffer.

Yes.

> I will try both. Although I have been warned against it I would like
> to make the changes directly to the latin-post.el.

I wouldn't recommend this neither.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,