all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multilingual characters
@ 2004-09-23  4:35 snezhko
From: snezhko @ 2004-09-23  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw

I am trying to create a MULE input method for cyrillic characters that
corresponds to de-facto standard russian keyboard layout in Windows.

Looked into leim/quail/cyrillic.el and found weird string/character
constants like ^[,L9FC:5=^[(B or ?^[,L9^[(B

How could I know that the latter corresponds to cyrillic letter "Й"
(unicode 0x0419)? Are there any tables? I have googled for MULE and
found only MULE internal representation that is not appropriate here...

Elisp manual is also keeping silence...

--
WBR, Victor V. Snezhko
EMail: snezhko@indorsoft.ru

* Re: multilingual characters
       [not found] <mailman.3694.1095914666.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-23 12:34 ` Edward Casey
From: Edward Casey @ 2004-09-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw

<snezhko@indorsoft.ru> wrote in message

I am trying to create a MULE input method for cyrillic characters that
corresponds to de-facto standard russian keyboard layout in Windows.

Looked into leim/quail/cyrillic.el and found weird string/character
constants like ^[,L9FC:5=^[(B or ?^[,L9^[(B

How could I know that the latter corresponds to cyrillic letter ""
(unicode 0x0419)? Are there any tables? I have googled for MULE and
found only MULE internal representation that is not appropriate here...

Elisp manual is also keeping silence...

--
WBR, Victor V. Snezhko
EMail: snezhko@indorsoft.ru

After you read the cyrillic.el source into a buffer does the mode line
start with -u...? If not try C-x RET c and then utf-8. Then issue the
following command: open "leim/quail/cyrillic.el" This assumes that you
are using emacs for your editor, of course.

Here is a piece of the cyrillic.el just for a check:

("C" ?^[,LF^[(B) ("Ch" ?^[,LG^[(B) ("CH" ?^[,LG^[(B)

Oops! Forget about the above advice. Copypasting directly from emacs
into Outlook Express via the clipboard produced the above. That
coresponds with the following in unicode (utf-8). To get this I had to
save ( using C-x RET f for visited file encoding) cyrillic.el to another
subdirectory, then open that version in Word, from which I could
copypaste into OE. I'm sure that if I were using Linux I could have
avoided all this.

Some Latin-Cyrillic transcription rules:

("C" ?Ц) ("Ch" ?Ч) ("CH" ?Ч)
 ("Sh" ?Ш) ("SH" ?Ш)
 ("Shch" ?Щ) ("SHCH" ?Щ) ("Sj" ?Щ) ("SJ" ?Щ)
 ("/Sht" ?Щ) ("/SHT" ?Щ) ("/T" ?Щ)
 ("~~" "Ъ") ("Y" ?Ы) ("''" "Ь") ("E'" ?Э) ("E`" ?Э)

Apparently the lisp sources are in some emacs native encoding rather
than in unicode. If you load the file into a buffer the mode line says:
-J: ....

Ed.

* Re: multilingual characters
@ 2004-09-24  7:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-24  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: snezhko@indorsoft.ru
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:35:44 +0700
>
> I am trying to create a MULE input method for cyrillic characters that
> corresponds to de-facto standard russian keyboard layout in Windows.

You are in the wrong forum, then.  The right place to discuss this is
the emacs-devel@gnu.org mailing list.

It is even possible that the current development code already has the
solution for your problem, in which case the relevant developers who
read emacs-devel will tell you so.

> How could I know that the latter corresponds to cyrillic letter

The command "C-u C-x =" will tell you that.