all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Set emacs as pdf viewer?
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 17:50:08 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 2:16:50 AM UTC+5:30, Tory S. Anderson wrote:
> It feels silly to ask this but I've been using Okular to view all my pdfs for so long that I don't know how to switch to using emacs (now that we have the excellent PDF-Tools package), in particular with Auctex. I use the following to allow okular, but without it the PDF just opens in some hideous no-name application.
>
> (setq browse-pdf-generic-program (executable-find "okular"))
>
> How do I make emacs my default PDF viewer for Auctex?

As it happens I just discovered this yesterday, though it will depend on desktop
(kde/gnome/ etc) I use xfce.

For a long time for certain types of files (certain mime types), instead of starting some editor (let alone emacs) it would start wine and call notepad!

The official app for that is xdg-open -- which I found completely impenetrable.
Yesterday I found that xfce uses exo-open which is linked to xfce4-mime-settings

Your desktop will have something similar