all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-24 23:25 MelloBob
From: MelloBob @ 2017-04-24 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using this in my .emacs file for years to set up the initial window size:

   (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 110) (height . fullheight) ))

I think it's due to a recent OS update (Ubuntu to 17.04 and XFCE4), but now the window is 1 line too tall and the bottom buffer is cut off. Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

* Re: problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-25  0:28 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-25  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

MelloBob wrote:

> I've been using this in my .emacs file for
> years to set up the initial window size:
>
>    (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 110)
> (height . fullheight) ))
>
> I think it's due to a recent OS update
> (Ubuntu to 17.04 and XFCE4), but now the
> window is 1 line too tall and the bottom
> buffer is cut off. Suggestions on how to fix
> this would be appreciated.

Yeah, that sounds like a windows manager and/or
X thing. From your description tho, it doesn't
sound like the *size* is incorrect, rather the
*position* of the window - am I right?

However, if you are running the GUI Emacs, what
about just invoking it with the --fullscreen
option? I.e.,

    $ emacs --fullscreen

?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-25 12:14 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2017-04-25 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've been using this in my .emacs file for years to set up the
>  initial window size:
>
>    (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 110) (height . fullheight) ))
>
> I think it's due to a recent OS update (Ubuntu to 17.04 and XFCE4),
> but now the window is 1 line too tall and the bottom buffer is cut
> off. Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Try replacing the emacs package with emacs24-lucid or emacs25-lucid.
That should honor your config.

* Re: problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-25 12:21   ` jfr
From: jfr @ 2017-04-25 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This may also help

(setq frame-resize-pixelwise 't)

* Re: problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-25 18:04   ` MelloBob
From: MelloBob @ 2017-04-25 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 5:14:17 AM UTC-7, Javier wrote:
> > I've been using this in my .emacs file for years to set up the
> >  initial window size:
> >
> >    (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 110) (height . fullheight) ))
> >
> > I think it's due to a recent OS update (Ubuntu to 17.04 and XFCE4),
> > but now the window is 1 line too tall and the bottom buffer is cut
> > off. Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.
>
> Try replacing the emacs package with emacs24-lucid or emacs25-lucid.
> That should honor your config.

Okay, just tried that. No difference found (well, worse actually since it is missing the bottom 2 lines now instead of 1). I also tried adding the

  (setq frame-resize-pixelwise 't)

into my .emacs. Again, no difference.

It might be an issue with xfce4. I logged into cinnamon and mate sessions and it seems to be fine there.

Any other suggestions?

* Re: problem with fullheight for inital window
@ 2017-04-25 19:09     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-04-25 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

MelloBob wrote:

> It might be an issue with xfce4. I logged
> into cinnamon and mate sessions and it seems
> to be fine there.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Again, why are the command-line
switches unsatisfactory?