all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs and X
@ 2004-09-21 14:25 Elvin Peterson
From: Elvin Peterson @ 2004-09-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?  Or
even maximize the emacs window?  I would like it to go the upper left
corner.  One of the frame properties maybe?  Any help is appreciated.

TIA.

* Re: emacs and X
@ 2004-09-21 16:23 ` J. David Boyd
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-09-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elvin Peterson <elvin_peterson@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?  Or
> even maximize the emacs window?  I would like it to go the upper left
> corner.  One of the frame properties maybe?  Any help is appreciated.

emacs supports the -geometry parameter.

I use -geometry 100x50+10+10 to make a 100 column 50 line window 10
down and 10 over from the left top corner.

* Re: emacs and X
@ 2004-09-21 16:32 ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2004-09-21 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elvin Peterson on 21 Sep 2004 19:55:40 +0530 writes:

> Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?  Or
> even maximize the emacs window?  I would like it to go the upper left
> corner.  One of the frame properties maybe?  Any help is appreciated.

if you mean interactively, I suggest to use the larswm window manager.

--
Marco Parrone <marc0@autistici.org>
fingerprint: F7D4 527B DE97 4090 657B  6E4E 8B63 1167 (4507 0AD6)

* RE: emacs and X
@ 2004-09-21 17:28   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-09-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-h f set-frame-position will give you the info you need

Interactively, you can use `M-x frame-to-top-left', with this defition:

(defun frame-to-top-left ()
  "Move selected frame to top left of display"
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0))

See also commands `move-frame-horizontally' and `move-frame-vertically' in
library `do-re-mi-frames.el', here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/do-re-mi-frames.el. They let you move frames
around incrementally using the arrow keys.

 - Drew

@ 2004-09-21 17:55 JayBingham
From: JayBingham @ 2004-09-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, September 21, 2004 @ 9:26 AM, Elvin Peterson wrote:

> Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?
Or
> even maximize the emacs window?  I would like it to go the upper
left
> corner.  One of the frame properties maybe?  Any help is
appreciated.

If I understand what you are asking correctly you want to be able to
change the position of the window using a facility of Emacs while
Emacs is running.
There is a built-in function that will do this, set-frame-position;
unfortunately it is not an interactive function.  So in order to use
it you will need to write a little interactive elisp function.  For
more information about set-frame-position look in the Emacs Lisp
reference manual (Frames -> Frame Parameters -> Size and Position).
Or C-h f set-frame-position RET.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlet-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. “Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.”     -Dr. George W.
Crane-
Do not reply to this address - Reply only through the mailing list

* Re: emacs and X
       [not found] <mailman.3497.1095789742.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-21 18:35 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-09-21 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

JayBingham wrote:
 > There is a built-in function that will do this, set-frame-position;
 > unfortunately it is not an interactive function.  So in order to use
 > it you will need to write a little interactive elisp function.

Or make set-frame-position itself an interactive command:

(defadvice set-frame-position (before interactive activate)
   "Add an `interactive' spec."
   (interactive (list (selected-frame)
                      (string-to-int (read-string "X position: (default 0) "
                                                  nil nil "0"))
                      (string-to-int (read-string "Y position: (default 0) "
                                                  nil nil "0")))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs and X
@ 2004-09-21 22:30 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2004-09-21 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elvin Peterson <elvin_peterson@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?  Or
> even maximize the emacs window?

The in-development version of Emacs that is available publically via
anonymous CVS supports maximized frames -- it heeds the
frame-parameter `fullscreen' which can have the value `fullboth',
`fullwidth', or `fullheight', and has corresponding command-line
invocation switches.

* Re: emacs and X
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-09-22  4:00 ` Elvin Peterson
From: Elvin Peterson @ 2004-09-22  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elvin Peterson <elvin_peterson@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it possible to change emacs's position in X from within emacs?  Or
> even maximize the emacs window?  I would like it to go the upper left
> corner.  One of the frame properties maybe?  Any help is appreciated.
>
> TIA.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The geometry option is what I am
using now, but do-re-mi-frames.el seems the most flexible.  Certainly
ends all the frustration hitting Alt-Space to try and move the window.

Thanks again!