all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Starting
@ 2004-07-18 17:41 John
From: John @ 2004-07-18 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been meaning to make a start in using emacs and it seemed to me
that this is a good time, and the obvious way to learn is to use it.
Therefore I thought I might make a start by reading newsgroups via
emacs and reading and sending my email's through it.

Will I need to configure newservers, sendmail and fetchmail etc?
I ask as I have no experience or knowledge of any of these, using up
until now Knode and Kmail with POP and STMP.

--
John

* Re: Starting
@ 2004-07-18 19:06 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-07-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <joh$n@deism$$.org> writes:

> I have been meaning to make a start in using emacs and it seemed to me
> that this is a good time, and the obvious way to learn is to use it.
> Therefore I thought I might make a start by reading newsgroups via
> emacs and reading and sending my email's through it.

You launch emacs;
you type: M-x customize-variable RET gnus-select-method RET
you select nntp in the "Value Menu";
you type the domain name of your nntp server in the address field.
you select "Set for the current session" and then "Save for future
sessions" in the State menu.

and finally you launch gnus with M-x gnus RET

> Will I need to configure newservers, sendmail and fetchmail etc?
> I ask as I have no experience or knowledge of any of these, using up
> until now Knode and Kmail with POP and STMP.

gnus can be used to read and write your email too.  Personnaly, I
prefer to use vm.

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

* Re: Starting
@ 2004-07-18 19:32   ` John
From: John @ 2004-07-18 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> You launch emacs;
> you type: M-x customize-variable RET gnus-select-method RET
> you select nntp in the "Value Menu";
> you type the domain name of your nntp server in the address field.
> you select "Set for the current session" and then "Save for future
> sessions" in the State menu.

> and finally you launch gnus with M-x gnus RET

> gnus can be used to read and write your email too.  Personnaly, I
> prefer to use vm.

Thank you! I'll try that out.
--
John