all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* regexp-replace default
@ 2008-10-15 21:17 Joe
From: Joe @ 2008-10-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey all,
Hopefully a simple question for the emacs wizards out there.  Say I do
a regexp-relace of:

M-x replace-regexp
  Replace regexp: foo
  Replace regexp with: bar

But then I realize I actually wanted foo to baz.  When I do M-x
replace-regexp it shows me the default

M-x replace-regexp
  Replace regexp (default foo -> bar):

Is there someway to get the default text and edit that instead of
typing it in again?

Thanks,
Joe

* Re: regexp-replace default
@ 2008-10-15 21:44 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-10-15 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe <joesmoe10@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey all,
> Hopefully a simple question for the emacs wizards out there.  Say I do
> a regexp-relace of:
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp: foo
>   Replace regexp with: bar
>
> But then I realize I actually wanted foo to baz.  When I do M-x
> replace-regexp it shows me the default
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp (default foo -> bar):
>
> Is there someway to get the default text and edit that instead of
> typing it in again?

M-p

* RE: regexp-replace default
@ 2008-10-15 21:45 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-10-15 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Joe', help-gnu-emacs

> Hopefully a simple question for the emacs wizards out there.  Say I do
> a regexp-relace of:
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp: foo
>   Replace regexp with: bar
>
> But then I realize I actually wanted foo to baz.  When I do M-x
> replace-regexp it shows me the default
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp (default foo -> bar):
>
> Is there someway to get the default text and edit that instead of
> typing it in again?

Normally in Emacs `C-n' inserts the default value into the minibuffer for
editing/RET.

* Re: regexp-replace default
@ 2008-10-15 21:57 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-15 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 15, 2:17 pm, Joe <joesmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Hopefully a simple question for the emacs wizards out there.  Say I do
> a regexp-relace of:
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp: foo
>   Replace regexp with: bar
>
> But then I realize I actually wanted foo to baz.  When I do M-x
> replace-regexp it shows me the default
>
> M-x replace-regexp
>   Replace regexp (default foo -> bar):
>
> Is there someway to get the default text and edit that instead of
> typing it in again?

You can press the up/down arrow to go back/forth promp value history.

Other than that, there's no builtin way to simply edit default find/
replace pair.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread