all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: build from CVS
       [not found] <B121AEA4C026D51180670000E899F02722F79D@MAILSERVER>
@ 2002-02-07 14:57 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Assuming that make expands $$ to it's PID, does it ?

I think make starts a shell to run the command, so $$ will
be the PID of the shell.  So I expect it would not work.
Have you ever seen it ever work?

* Re: build from CVS
       [not found] <Pine.SUN.3.91.1020206094932.1770C-100000@is>
@ 2002-02-07 14:58 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-07 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vardhan.v, emacs-devel

    > another options is putting echo ^G^G^G, so that an audible
    > alarm is (usually) generated ......

    Yes, possibly followed by "sleep 10", or some other annoyingly long
    delay.

Idea!  We could put in an infinite sleep-loop.  Then the make will not
get beyond that point.  You'll have to use C-c to terminate it,
though.  Does that seem unreasonable?

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-07 15:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-02-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vardhan.v, emacs-devel

>     Assuming that make expands $$ to it's PID, does it ?
>
> I think make starts a shell to run the command, so $$ will
> be the PID of the shell.  So I expect it would not work.
> Have you ever seen it ever work?

Actually, `$$' is turned into `$' by make (since $ is used by make for
variable interpolation, `$$' is provided as a way to protect a $ from
expansion).  So `$$$$' would get the shell's process id.

With some shells you might be able to use `$$PPID'.

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-07 19:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-07 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vardhan.v, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:58:00 -0700 (MST)
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>
> Idea!  We could put in an infinite sleep-loop.  Then the make will not
> get beyond that point.  You'll have to use C-c to terminate it,
> though.  Does that seem unreasonable?

Seems entirely reasonable to me.

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-07 20:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-02-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, vardhan.v, emacs-devel

> > Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:58:00 -0700 (MST)
> > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> >
> > Idea!  We could put in an infinite sleep-loop.  Then the make will not
> > get beyond that point.  You'll have to use C-c to terminate it,
> > though.  Does that seem unreasonable?
>
> Seems entirely reasonable to me.

`make -j' will still get beyond that point, of course.
I feel like we're trying too hard to solve a non-problem.
Let's just put a `sleep 10' and be done with it.

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-07 20:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-02-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vardhan.v, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:58:00 -0700 (MST)
>
> Idea!  We could put in an infinite sleep-loop.  Then the make will not
> get beyond that point.  You'll have to use C-c to terminate it,
> though.  Does that seem unreasonable?

To make C-c more reasonable, we could add an appropriate text before
the sleep, telling the user to stop it with C-c.

* Re: build from CVS
       [not found] ` <200202051248.g15CmRv02237@aztec.santafe.edu>
@ 2002-02-07 21:04   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2002-02-07 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     I think if you add "exit 1" to the commands run by maybe_bootstrap, Make
>     will stop after printing that message.
> I think that won't work if make is run with -k,
> and normally that's what people do.

What about making the ${SUBDIRS} and leim targets depend on
maybe_bootstrap?  Then "make src" will get the warning too (is that a
bad thing?), and "make -k" should skip all the subdir targets after
the one failure reported by maybe_bootstrap.

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-08 13:55     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vardhan.v, emacs-devel

    Actually, `$$' is turned into `$' by make (since $ is used by make for
    variable interpolation, `$$' is provided as a way to protect a $ from
    expansion).  So `$$$$' would get the shell's process id.

I stand corrected, but this doesn't affect the point.  The shell's
process id is not useful anyway--killing the shell is easy with `exit
1', but that won't tell `make -k' to stop.

* Re: build from CVS
@ 2002-02-08 23:24     ` Richard Stallman