all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
@ 2003-09-20 14:49   ` Dave Footitt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.462.1064082275.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dave Footitt @ 2003-09-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can do it in dired, if you mark all the files you'd like to open, then
use 'dired-do-find-marked-files'

You will need to (require 'dired-x) in your .emacs too.

Dave

* Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
@ 2003-09-20 17:45 Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Often times when I'm coding I'll want to load all files in a particular
directory into a buffer.  Right now I have to do:

emacs ./file1

Then for each other file
C-x C-f filename

Is there something I can put in my .emacs file to tell emacs that when I
type a directory name under open file that all files in that directory
should be loaded, or even better, a command or set of keys I can press
to automatically load all files in a directory?

Thanks in advance,

-Dan

* Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
       [not found] <mailman.461.1064080178.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-20 17:54 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2003-09-20 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:
> Often times when I'm coding I'll want to load all files in a particular
> directory into a buffer.  Right now I have to do:
>
> emacs ./file1
>
> Then for each other file
> C-x C-f filename

doesn't 'emacs *' work? it should, but i don't want to shut down emacs in
order to test. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers
since when is vi an editor? a discussion on vi belongs in

* Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
@ 2003-09-20 18:23   ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.462.1064082275.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-20 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> doesn't 'emacs *' work?

Perhaps I should be more specific.  If I ran:

$emacs ./*

It would open up all files in the directory, but this would include
backup files (i.e. beginning with a # and ending with a # or ~).

Is it possible to tell emacs to ignore those files?

I was thinking of something like:

$emacs ./*.php

If for example I wanted to access all PHP scripts in a directory.  But
then if there were any HTML pages they wouldn't be displayed.  Plus this
involves exiting and restarting emacs.  I was hoping there would be a
more elegant solution.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Anderson

@ 2003-09-22 16:08     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-22 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

> Perhaps I should be more specific.  If I ran:
>
> $emacs ./*
>
> It would open up all files in the directory, but this would include
> backup files (i.e. beginning with a # and ending with a # or ~).
>
> Is it possible to tell emacs to ignore those files?

No, you have to tell your shell not to pass them to emacs.  I don't
usually have autosave files lying around, so exclude backup files I
would run: emacs !(*~)

> I was thinking of something like:
>
> $emacs ./*.php
>
> If for example I wanted to access all PHP scripts in a directory.  But
> then if there were any HTML pages they wouldn't be displayed.

emacs *.php *.html

> Plus this
> involves exiting and restarting emacs.  I was hoping there would be a
> more elegant solution.

The elegant solution is to open the directory in dired, then go from there
(see Dave Footitt's response): emacs .

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Open All FIles in a Directory: How can I tell emacs to do this?
@ 2003-09-22 20:15       ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-09-22 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
> emacs *.php *.html
>
> > Plus this
> > involves exiting and restarting emacs.  I was hoping there would be a
> > more elegant solution.
>
> The elegant solution is to open the directory in dired, then go from there
> (see Dave Footitt's response): emacs .

I don't use much dired; you could do too:

    M-x server-start RET
    M-x shell RET
    cd $where_you_want
    emacsclient -n [^#]*[^~] RET

or:
    (require 'cl)

    (dolist (f (delete-if
                 (lambda (path) (not (string-match ".*/[^#/][^/]*[^~/]$" path)))
                 (file-expand-wildcards "/where/you/want/*")))
      (find-file f))

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/