all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-12 21:05 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-09-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would anyone like to work on this?

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:56:32 +0200
From: dapfy@t-online.de (Daniel Pfeiffer)
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Cc: David James <david.w.james@door.nissenhut.com>
Subject: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem
Sender: bug-gnu-emacs-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

Saluton, Moin,

sh-script-mode has evolved heavily since I wrote it.  Since I've shunned Shell for Perl, there's no point in me being maintainer any more.

Plusendata:

> Dato: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:53:46 +0100
> De: david.w.james@door.nissenhut.com (David James)
> Al: occitan@esperanto.org
> Temo: sh-script.el case indentation problem

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the sh-script.el v2.0f that comes with Gnu emacs v21.3 to try
> to indent lines automatically. I've hit a problem with case statements.
> Your name is in there as the maintainer, so I'm hoping you may be able
> to help.
>
> The small script below shows the problem. The statements after the
> case labels line up with the labels themselves rather than being indented
> according to the setting of sh-indent-for-case-alt.
>
> Hitting C-c ? with point on the e of 'echo' produces the message 'line has
> default indentation' so it appears that the line isn't recognised as a
> statment following a label.
>
> I've tried running with sh-debug on but my knowledge of Emacs Lisp is
> approximately zero and the learning curve for syntax tables etc is steep.
> Can you help?
>
> David James
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> case $int in
>   abc*)
>   echo ok
>   ;;
>   def)
>   ;;
> esac

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

- --
lerne / learn / apprends / läramå    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/

* Re: [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-12 21:22 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-09-12 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would anyone like to work on this?

Cannot reproduce with current CVS.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-12 21:45   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-09-12 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dapfy, rms, emacs-devel

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:22:43PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > Would anyone like to work on this?
>
> Cannot reproduce with current CVS.

shell-script-mode seems to require font-locking to indent correctly --
anyway I can reproduce the problem if I turn off font-lock-mode, whereas
things work fine if it's turned on.

I think the current shell-script indentation foo is due to Stefan BTW.

Maybe this sort of problem could be fixed by having shell-script-mode force
on font-locking in its individual buffer, but disable the display effect when
the user hasn't turned on font-lock-mode (e.g., using
`char-property-alias-alist').  Stefan?

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
  			-- Walter Hines Page

* Re: [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-12 22:12     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, dapfy, rms, emacs-devel

> I think the current shell-script indentation foo is due to Stefan BTW.

I'm not sure what you mean by `foo', but you're probably right.

> Maybe this sort of problem could be fixed by having shell-script-mode force
> on font-locking in its individual buffer, but disable the display effect when
> the user hasn't turned on font-lock-mode (e.g., using
> `char-property-alias-alist').  Stefan?

Yes, that's the plan, but it hasn't been realized yet.
Using `char-property-alias-alist' is something I had not considered yet.
My grand plan is to decompose the font-lock info provided by a mode
so that it can be turned on/off piecemeal.  This would provide also
a replacement for font-lock-maximum-decoration (which seems not
to be used by anyone except for those who don't know that setting
it to t is unnecessary).
If anybody wants to do it before I get to it, that would be wonderful.

One of the underlying questions is: why do people not turn on font-lock ?
Is it only because they don't like the colors (I have customized my faces to
be a lot more subdued, with most of them reduced to being identical to
`default')? is it because of slowdown? something else?

* Re: [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-13  1:19       ` Robert Anderson
From: Robert Anderson @ 2003-09-13  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 15:12, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> One of the underlying questions is: why do people not turn on font-lock ?
> Is it only because they don't like the colors (I have customized my faces to
> be a lot more subdued, with most of them reduced to being identical to
> `default')? is it because of slowdown? something else?

One data point: my co-worker claims he finds the colors distracting and
"headache inducing" and always makes me turn them off when he's looking
at my screen.  (Which is unfortunate, because my eyes glaze over without
them.)

Bob

* Re: [dapfy@t-online.de: Fw: sh-script.el case indentation problem]
@ 2003-09-16  2:21       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-09-16  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, dapfy, rms, emacs-devel

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:
> > I think the current shell-script indentation foo is due to Stefan BTW.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by `foo', but you're probably right.

No, it's not an insult.  :-)
I just meant `stuff.'

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.