all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font-lock support mode in emacs 22
@ 2006-12-05 14:22 spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2006-12-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just checked in cvs
(http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lisp/font-lock.el?rev=1.308&root=emacs&view=auto)
that font-lock-support-mode is still 'jit-lock-mode in emacs 22.

Is this still necessary? I mean we have pretty fast machines in these
days, so couldn't emacs perform the fontification in realtime? Did the
subject come up on emacs-devel during development of emacs 22?

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
@ 2006-12-05 16:23 ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2006-12-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Dec 2006 06:22:41 -0800
"spamfilteraccount@gmail.com" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just checked in cvs
> (http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lisp/font-lock.el?rev=1.308&root=emacs&view=auto)
> that font-lock-support-mode is still 'jit-lock-mode in emacs 22.
>
> Is this still necessary? I mean we have pretty fast machines in these
> days, so couldn't emacs perform the fontification in realtime? Did the
> subject come up on emacs-devel during development of emacs 22?

I have a reasonably fast machine and it is still very necessary. Without
tuning jit emacs was unusable for me.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
@ 2006-12-06  6:23 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-12-06  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

`jit-lock-mode' is Emacs' synonym for "fontification in real time".

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
       [not found] <mailman.1589.1165386266.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-06  7:28 ` spamfilteraccount
From: spamfilteraccount @ 2006-12-06  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

martin rudalics wrote:
> `jit-lock-mode' is Emacs' synonym for "fontification in real time".

Okay. The only reason I asked the question in the first place, because
I noticed that my grep syntax highlight hack

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/48dce7a5c8a4def1/460be2b11094a688#460be2b11094a688

missed some lines in opened files. Turned out it was because the
fontification of those lines were deferred, so the highlighting code
couldn't copy the face information for them.

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
@ 2006-12-06 18:12 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

spamfilteraccount@gmail.com wrote:
> I just checked in cvs
> (http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lisp/font-lock.el?rev=1.308&root=emacs&view=auto)
> that font-lock-support-mode is still 'jit-lock-mode in emacs 22.
>
> Is this still necessary? I mean we have pretty fast machines in these
> days, so couldn't emacs perform the fontification in realtime? Did the
> subject come up on emacs-devel during development of emacs 22?

Incremental syntax highlighting is always useful, because it allows
ever bigger files to be opened.  At present I experience pauses
fontifying say ~300kb files.  It would be nice if with faster machines
this didn't happen.  Doing it in realtime would prevent this from
happening.  It would also prevent using more sophisticated regexp, at
present many modes optimize their regexp for speed.

I think the problem you're experiencing it your code is caused because
it does things in a rather unusual way.

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
@ 2007-05-15 11:33   ` moueza
From: moueza @ 2007-05-15 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

is there the same for the background color?
I mean: I want (under cron)to modify .emacs , and that emacs considers it
immediately: no need to close it, and reopen it

@ 2007-05-16  6:19 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-05-16  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mouezapeter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > is there the same for the background color?
 > I mean: I want (under cron)to modify .emacs , and that emacs considers it
 > immediately: no need to close it, and reopen it

Please describe precisely your modification to .emacs.  There should
_never_ be a need to "close and reopen" Emacs.

* Re: font-lock support mode in emacs 22
       [not found] <mailman.727.1179297182.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-19 21:17 ` Ian J Cottee
From: Ian J Cottee @ 2007-05-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

martin rudalics wrote:
>  > is there the same for the background color?
>  > I mean: I want (under cron)to modify .emacs , and that emacs
> considers it
>  > immediately: no need to close it, and reopen it
>
> Please describe precisely your modification to .emacs.  There should
> _never_ be a need to "close and reopen" Emacs.

I think the problem here is that the .emacs is being modified by a cron
job - and that change should be automatically updated by the running emacs.