all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Latest version of emacs for Cygwin
@ 2008-01-29  1:32 Taras_96
From: Taras_96 @ 2008-01-29  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I'm running cygwin and using the provided setup program to download &
install emacs. Using this setup program, the version of emacs that is
downloaded is version 21.2-13. However, the cygwin website lists
packages available for download, and the latest version of emacs in
*that* listing is 22.13 (http://cygwin.com/packages/emacs/). How come
the setup program isn't downloading this latest version, and how can I
get this latest version?

Thanks

Taras

* Re: Latest version of emacs for Cygwin
@ 2008-01-29 20:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.6704.1201638651.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-01-29 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Taras_96 <taras.di@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:32:31 -0800 (PST)
>
> I'm running cygwin and using the provided setup program to download &
> install emacs. Using this setup program, the version of emacs that is
> downloaded is version 21.2-13. However, the cygwin website lists
> packages available for download, and the latest version of emacs in
> *that* listing is 22.13 (http://cygwin.com/packages/emacs/). How come
> the setup program isn't downloading this latest version, and how can I
> get this latest version?

Please ask this on the Cygwin mailing list.  The Cygwin package for
Emacs is prepared by Cygwin folks, not by Emacs maintainers.

Alternatively, download the source distribution and build Emacs
yourself.

@ 2008-01-30  1:44   ` Taras_96
From: Taras_96 @ 2008-01-30  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 4:30 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Taras_96 <taras...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:32:31 -0800 (PST)
>
> > I'm running cygwin and using the provided setup program to download &
> > install emacs. Using this setup program, the version of emacs that is
> > downloaded is version 21.2-13. However, the cygwin website lists
> > packages available for download, and the latest version of emacs in
> > *that* listing is 22.13 (http://cygwin.com/packages/emacs/). How come
> > the setup program isn't downloading this latest version, and how can I
> > get this latest version?
>
> Please ask this on the Cygwin mailing list.  The Cygwin package for
> Emacs is prepared by Cygwin folks, not by Emacs maintainers.
>
> Alternatively, download the source distribution and build Emacs
> yourself.

For anyone wanting the answer:

If you change the view to 'All' rather than 'Categories', for some
reason emacs 22 appears as an option (this option does not appear when
viewing packages by category)

@ 2008-02-16 16:16 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2008-02-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think that use emacs from Cygwin is not pretty, then naive build form
MinGW or MSVC (for GNU Emacs available build
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/), especially this helpful if
you use Emacs not only with Cygwin utils.

But for some task it good. For example use remote ssh connection to
Windows with Emacs!

* Consolidating Widely used Powerful emacs "features"
@ 2008-02-16 17:29   ` Sanjeev Kumar.S
From: Sanjeev Kumar.S @ 2008-02-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs